OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lets see the painted shotguns

Started by chad fenton, January 31, 2012, 05:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

Quote from: Curtdawg88 on February 02, 2012, 05:43:57 PM
I have nevery painted a gun myself, but I would like to one day.  I found a pretty good step by step guide on another forum a while back.  I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to another forum, but here goes.  Seems like this guy really knows his stuff.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36000 
Dang!! Thats an awesome paint job in that link!

Curtdawg88

Quote from: Crappiepro on February 02, 2012, 07:39:45 PM
Quote from: Curtdawg88 on February 02, 2012, 05:43:57 PM
I have nevery painted a gun myself, but I would like to one day.  I found a pretty good step by step guide on another forum a while back.  I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to another forum, but here goes.  Seems like this guy really knows his stuff.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36000 
Dang!! Thats an awesome paint job in that link!

No kidding! It appears as though he knows what he is going. I want to try it but I'm afraid mine will come out looking terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Curtdawg88

Quote from: reynolds243 on January 31, 2012, 06:19:07 PM
Not a shot fun but did this one a few years back

That's incredible right there! You did that yourself?!

reynolds243

yeah it really wasnt that hard. That was the first one i did and have gotten much better at it with practice.

i just put a base coat on with Tan Krylon (actually didnt even prep it much to be honest) and then bought a sea sponge to use for the green and brown. Went to lowes and bought green and brown sample pant to use. Poured it and dabbed the sponge in it then dabbed it on the gun and scope. Did the green first then the brown.

on some others i did i used different sea sponges to give different patterns and used different shades of green and brown paint with some black lightly mixed in.

like it said it is VERY easy to do and doesnt require much skill to be honest just a few trys to get down what you like. As far as durability, that gun/paint combo is about 4-5 years old and sees the woods a TON and not one part of it is coming off or rubbing out.

Curtdawg88

Bump. I think I would like to see more DIY paint jobs.

chad fenton

Here's mine.  Nothing special but hopefully those Toms won't see it until they feel it.

FullChoke

I decided years ago to have my old Ithaca Model 37 tapped for a choke tube and paint it. I first cleaned it very well, primed it with a medium gray primer, hand painted the gun, then sprayed it with a matte polyurethane. It has held up fairly well through the years.

Cheers!  :icon_thumright:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Trey

offshore

i think some of you guys should start charging for these paint jobs.

delta hunter

BigJim

Quote from: houser52 on January 31, 2012, 06:40:05 PM
Here's my 870 coyote gun that I did several years ago. The pattern turned out pretty good but I stripped it all off this past weekend.  That was a pain.
If the weather was hot or if I held it too long the finish got sticky and I hated that. It's now paint free and black .

I really like that pattern!

Curtdawg88

Quote from: FullChoke on February 12, 2012, 04:15:00 PM
I decided years ago to have my old Ithaca Model 37 tapped for a choke tube and paint it. I first cleaned it very well, primed it with a medium gray primer, hand painted the gun, then sprayed it with a matte polyurethane. It has held up fairly well through the years.

Cheers!  :icon_thumright:

FullChoke

Now that looks awesome!!