Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who Shoots a Remington 11-87 w/21" Barrel?? What Choke & Load??

Started by SKFOOTER, January 31, 2012, 03:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

GOLD HUNTER

I have the gun at the gunsmith for now getting the scope put on and i will repost from the range...... i know you know what my gun will do But i just had to post it up.

We shot a few rounds of Winchester lead to get it close and see how the action worked.  This was a 20 yr old gun and I had never shot it before.  After gaining the confidence of the gun we switched to the hevi loads.  1st we tried a Nitro and it put 348 in a 10" circle.  I then switched to my 8 ball handload which is 2 ozs of #8's TSS.  In a 10" circle it got  368.  The only choke i had was the one that came in it kicks .660.
I will be trying a ic.665 next time.

The gun worked flawlessly, very smooth action and kicked the shells out extremely well.  The limbsaver really cut down on the recoil.

In all this gun will be in the woods for a long time in the future slaying turkeys.

On my next go round at the range I will fine tune it with the TSS 8 ball at 40 yards.  

Brian  :icon_thumright:

WIRE PALADIN

Have gun will travel to your woods to hunt

ncturkey

I have Remington 11-87 3" chambered 21" barreled gun. I am shooting a Indian Creek BDS .665 choke. I am shooting the Hevi 13 3" 2oz. #6 load. I am avg 200+ in the 10" circle at 40 yards with that settup. One thing to note I have polished my barrel which improved my patterns alot with this settup. Here is one of my patterns.                                                                                                                                 

SKFOOTER

remmy1187

I have a 11-87 sportsman in camo that came with a 28" barrel that I replaced with a 21"  that  I have polished.   Shoot a .665 IC with my own reloads of 6 and 7.5 heavy shot 3 inch 17/8 ounce.   Average between 250-280 in a 10" at 40 yards.   Tried Jelly Head .660 and .665,  trugloSSX, Star-Dot, Undertaker HD,  and none of them came close to my IC numbers.  Also shot one 3/2/7 my brother gave me to try and shot a 286.

deerslayer357

My Remmy 1187 is equipped with a Jellyhead .665 and I am shooting 3" 2 oz TSS 8's. 

I am getting ~310 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3636.msg43187.html#msg43187

Cutt

If you got a new 11-87 that came with a factory Wingmaster HD Turkey/Predator choke, don't overlook that tube like I did?

After buying 2 different Jelly Heads, I realized the factory tube preformed better than them with certain loads. So if you are going to try many different loads, give that choke a try and save your money.

Fullfan

I have 2 of them, I shoot a Primos JH .660 and Hevi #7 and get 250ish at 40 in a ten. My other has a Indian creek BDS  and I think it is a .665??? it shoots the Hevi #6 and #7 very well aslo.  I had used one old the old MAD max chokes and shot #6 win ex- range for years with great results. I resentley bought the same choke on line for 20.00 and my father in-law is shooting it in his 11-87 super mag and getting great numbers with #6 hevis...
Don't gobble at me...

SKFOOTER

Quote from: ncturkey on February 01, 2012, 08:40:52 PM
I have Remington 11-87 3" chambered 21" barreled gun. I am shooting a Indian Creek BDS .665 choke. I am shooting the Hevi 13 3" 2oz. #6 load. I am avg 200+ in the 10" circle at 40 yards with that settup. One thing to note I have polished my barrel which improved my patterns alot with this settup. Here is one of my patterns.                                                                                                                                 
Hey NC?  Are the current 3 inch 2 ounce Hevi #6 loads throwing as good a pattern in that setup as those did in 2009??? :OGturkeyhead:

kdog

I shoot a Jelly Head .660 with Heavy Shot 3" #7s and average about 200hits in the 10 ring @ 40 yds