turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Super Vinci Choke Questions

Started by Gobble Nole, January 31, 2012, 09:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Nole

Ok, the Super Vinci takes the Crio chokes for Benelli and I bought a Kicks .655 choke for the gun from someone I know that was selling it for $15, didn't like it in his M2.  I patterned the shot gun with Mag Blends through the Kicks choke with no problems and some pretty good looking patterns.  I don't remember the numbers but it was over 220 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.  I was happy with it.  I just read that you are not supposed to shoot the Hevi products through this choke.  Why?  Just curious if I need to look for another choke for the gun, shoot lead out of the gun, or just keep rolling along and not worry about it. 
If I need another choke, which one would you recommend for the Super Vinci? 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobble Nole on January 31, 2012, 09:41:59 AM
Ok, the Super Vinci takes the Crio chokes for Benelli and I bought a Kicks .655 choke for the gun from someone I know that was selling it for $15, didn't like it in his M2.  I patterned the shot gun with Mag Blends through the Kicks choke with no problems and some pretty good looking patterns.  I don't remember the numbers but it was over 220 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.  I was happy with it.  I just read that you are not supposed to shoot the Hevi products through this choke.  Why?  Just curious if I need to look for another choke for the gun, shoot lead out of the gun, or just keep rolling along and not worry about it. 
If I need another choke, which one would you recommend for the Super Vinci? 

First of all, congratulations. The SV is a great gun from all accounts. I own a 3" Vinci and can't say enough good things about it.

Kick's does not recommend shooting H.S. products through its chokes, nor does its sister company Comp N Choke. Both however are fine products and I've shot them for years with lead shot.

I have seen some excellent results with both Pure Gold and with the Hevi-13 turkey chokes in my 3" Vinci and I'd say you'd see the same in you SV, should you choose to try another choke tube. Both of those are rated for H.S. products as well as lead of course.

Whatever you choose, enjoy that gun and good luck this spring in the turkey woods.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nyhunter

Lots of people are using kicks choke's with H-13 shot. I have a new one for my SBEII that im gonna pattern this spring with h-13," if and when it warms up". I'd keep using it if it were me.

Gobble Nole

Yeah, thanks...  I love the gun, it was great this year on ducks.  I put about 250 rounds through it of Winchester Steel with no problems at all. 
On the Pure Gold Choke, was it the .670 that you used in the Vinci?  The only reason I ask is because I know these barrels sometimes do better with a little tighter choke like the Kicks .655 that I have in mine now. 
Just curious, I know that PG was coming out with a slightly tighter choke that their standard .670.  I wonder if anybody has used that in the Benelli shotguns?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobble Nole on January 31, 2012, 01:35:12 PM
Yeah, thanks...  I love the gun, it was great this year on ducks.  I put about 250 rounds through it of Winchester Steel with no problems at all. 
On the Pure Gold Choke, was it the .670 that you used in the Vinci?  The only reason I ask is because I know these barrels sometimes do better with a little tighter choke like the Kicks .655 that I have in mine now. 
Just curious, I know that PG was coming out with a slightly tighter choke that their standard .670.  I wonder if anybody has used that in the Benelli shotguns?

For many years I've shot both the SSX (.643) and the Wright's #3 (.650) turkey chokes through most of my Benelli shotguns with excellent results. The PG .670 has been the standard for that model for several years but they have introduced the .660 which is currently in production, so I've not tried any of those. I will have them and try them in a variety of guns in just a couple of weeks. They'll be available at the NWTF Convention & Sport Show.

Another excellent choke for that gun and one that I'm seeing excellent results from is the Hevi-13 turkey choke (.667)

What I've found over the years is that the e.d. is just one part of the equation when considering a turkey choke. It's really more about all of the internal geometry of the choke. The different angles of the conical section, etc. and any treatments that the designer puts into his choke. We tend to focus on the e.d. because it makes them easy to identify.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

Put you a 650 in it and let it ride.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA