OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-Shot Advertisement

Started by Neill_Prater, January 30, 2012, 06:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

There was a thread a while back about Hevi-Shot and some of the claims they made regarding pattern density in their advertising. However, that can't hold a candle to the ad they have in the Cabelas catalog I received in today's mail.

On page 26 of the Cabelas Spring Turkey catalog, in the ammo section, they have an illustration advertising Hevi-13 Magnum Blend and Hevi-13 Turkey loads. The illustration shows a hunter shooting a shotgun at a strutting gobbler and the "patterns" represented by different size cones. Now get this, it shows #7 shot, 30 yards, #6 shot, 55 yards, and #5 shot, 75+ yards! It also shows a ringed "target" with concentric rings and the different sized shot in each ring, with #5 being the smallest. I haven't shot that many Magnum Blends, but I'm quite certain not all the #5 shot stay in the middle of the target. Percentage wise, possibly, but this would lead one to believe all the larger shot are concentrated in the extreme center of the pattern.

I honestly believe Hevi-Shot should be called out on this one. Turkey hunters in general, and guys on this board, in particular, have made them a major player in the turkey ammo market, and I feel it is a disservice for them to publish advertising touting 75+ yard kills, when we all know that is totally unrealistic in the woods, not to mention unethical. I am sure some of you will pooh-pooh this, and say that everyone will know better, but in reality, many won't. There is a large percentage of people out there that never shoot at a piece of paper prior to going hunting, and I can guarantee you that there are many, especially beginning hunters, that will see this ad, buy some Magnum Blends, and start blasting at any bird they see less than a football field away.

I'm all for free enterprise, but there should also be some truth in advertising. Promoting shooting at unrealistic distances is harmful to hunting in general, and I feel is totally irresponsible.

CASH

I saw that to.  Advertising 75+ yard shots is a bad idea IMO
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

sbe2#

drenalinld

I agree irresponsible and flawed reasoning with regard to shot size.

willy8457

If you want to shoot 60 and 70 yards  Buy a rifle.  Calling a bird to the gun is the fun of it.

turkey slayer

Quote from: CASH on January 30, 2012, 06:13:47 PM
I saw that to.  Advertising 75+ yard shots is a bad idea IMO
I agree, I saw it a little while ago. I just laughed.

TauntoHawk

i cringed when I saw that lie-o-gram taking up half a page in cabelas catelog... a lot of newbie hunters are going to wound a lot of birds with $5 shells follow that reasoning
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Big Timber

Quote from: willy8457 on January 30, 2012, 06:23:09 PM
If you want to shoot 60 and 70 yards  Buy a rifle.  Calling a bird to the gun is the fun of it.

:z-winnersmiley:

Eric Gregg

I have been hunting turkeys for only four years, and believe me, as a newb you buy into a lot of the advertising hype. Your easily suscepatable to advertising gimmicks.
This forum has proven how deadly Hevi-Shot is, but I believe that we ALL agree that the company touting a 75 yd kill is outta line and Hevi-Shot needs to be called out on it.
Not one of us, i believe, would take that kind of shot or encourage anyone else to.

The reason why I like this forum is that eventhough there may be differences in opinion about trivial things, the one thing we all agree on is making sure that we hunt ethically and continue to bring respect to this sport. I have learned so much here that it is unreal.
Let's call their hand on it if we have to. They have e-mail addresses I am sure......

sugarray

I cannot believe after all they have seen from our forum and from the difficulty in getting folks to change from lead that they would even think this would be ok to print.  This has to come from those that don't hunt.

I'm just as upset that you all have your Cabela's Spring Turkey catalog and I don't!!

coyotetrpr

for them to advertise 75 yards is questionable,even though most people that shoot hevi will claim that their gun will do 75 yds. The biggest problem that I have is the price of the shells. In all honesty for what they cost they should stone turkeys at 80 yards all day long.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

BOFF

Quote from: coyotetrpr on January 30, 2012, 10:54:44 PM
for them to advertise 75 yards is questionable,even though most people that shoot hevi will claim that their gun will do 75 yds. The biggest problem that I have is the price of the shells. In all honesty for what they cost they should stone turkeys at 80 yards all day long.

Care to back this up with some facts?   

I shoot Hevi shot, and never have made any claims to it shooting 75 yards, nor do I recall reading anybody here making any claims to it shooting 75 yards.

God Bless,
David B.

SeekingtheTrophy

Yeah I seen that as well, my first impression was "DANG" might have to try these out for those birds that hang up

drenalinld

Quote from: BOFF on January 30, 2012, 11:48:37 PM
Quote from: coyotetrpr on January 30, 2012, 10:54:44 PM

Care to back this up with some facts?   

I shoot Hevi shot, and never have made any claims to it shooting 75 yards, nor do I recall reading anybody here making any claims to it shooting 75 yards.

God Bless,
David B.

Exactly. "Most" here care enough to know exactly what their setup will do at any distance they might take a shot and I haven't seen any claims of 75 yard effectiveness, especially with low pellet counts of Hevi 5's.

Neill_Prater

I'm happy to see that others think like I do. The ad gives the impression that the #5's in the mix shoot almost like a rifle, and we all know that isn't true. I have no doubt a #5 Hevi pellet would dispatch a gobbler at 75 yards, IF one hit exactly the right spot. I've known people back when lead was king, that wouldn't hesitate to sling shot at 60 yards hoping they would get "lucky", so I've no doubt this ad would make a novice think he could do the same thing at 100 yards.

I wish one of you guys that shoot the blends and has a fine-tuned rig would do a test target at 75 yards and see just what the actual pellet count is, especially of the larger #5's. I don't have as tight shooting a combo as many, got around 190 at 40 with the blends, but I shot the same combo at 50 and got a pellet count of 94, already getting marginal, so I'm guessing at 60 yds, the pellet count would be less than 50.