OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scouting

Started by mbecnel, January 27, 2012, 11:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbecnel

Here's a map of the area that I'll be hunting this spring. Want to get started scouting in a couple of weeks. Plan to start in clouded area......along one side of creek then circle back. Then do the same on the other side. Along the creek is hardwoods then it goes into a mix of hardwood/pines. Being this is only my second season I'm looking for a little input

Thanks
Mike

dirt road ninja

How bid a piece is it?

I'd walk right into the middle off the clouded area before daylight, pull up a seat and listen. If you hear them that will give you a good idea of what direction to start in. If you don't hear them I'd still sit there for an hour or two, then slip up to those fields and check them. If still no birds, then I would walk the creeks looking for roosting sign or anything else. If you don't find much come back with a sack of corn (if legal) and a Trail camara. The property may not hold birds. I looks like it would be a great honey hole from your picture.

gunnerj

It depends on how many times/days :anim_25: you can get there before daylight, before season. I prefer the edge on the high ground and narrow the search from there. The fact is still that you let them tell you where they are at, and go from there.

mbecnel

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 27, 2012, 12:11:44 PM
How bid a piece is it?

I'd walk right into the middle off the clouded area before daylight, pull up a seat and listen. If you hear them that will give you a good idea of what direction to start in. If you don't hear them I'd still sit there for an hour or two, then slip up to those fields and check them. If still no birds, then I would walk the creeks looking for roosting sign or anything else. If you don't find much come back with a sack of corn (if legal) and a Trail camara. The property may not hold birds. I looks like it would be a great honey hole from your picture.

It's about 2400 acres(total) lease. We can put out corn but it has to be gone to weeks before opening day. Your plan was what I was thinking just wasn't sure when I should walk the creek looking for the roost. This area Montpelier / Greensburg holds plenty of turkey but it's our first season in the lease.

Thanks

Gobble Nole

Corn and a game camera is a good start.  That big of a tract could hold numerous gobblers and you know that they are mobile.  I would be mobile as well.  In my experience the turkeys are always going to want to get a little sip of something to drink before they fly up for the afternoon, all of the birds that I hunt in Florida and Georgia roost around swamps and in creek bottoms.  That is a generalization but for the most part it has held true for me.  I guess it helps them digest whatever they are eating during the day.  We are in such a drought right now in NW FL that it has altered the roost patterns for our birds.  The creek bottoms are dry and they are not roosting in them as they have in the past.  I would also listen as the season gets closer and try to get a general count and direction.  New parcels are fun with all types of surprises.  Ours in south GA didn't have a turkey on it until the past 2 weeks.  Last day of deer season we saw over 40 birds and i think that 17 of them had beards.  Just popped up from nowhere... 

dirt road ninja

2400 acres. SWEET! That's a lot of ground to cover. The good thing about that much land, you can screw up a few times and still find uneducated birds.

I'd start riding roads and scouting from the truck now. Turkeys (at least mine) are not spooked to bad by trucks and tractors. You'll be able to find feathers and scratchings along the roads without getting out the truck. You'll probably run into a few birds riding around. Once you have a good feel of the roads then you can start scouting on foot.

turkey slayer

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 27, 2012, 03:37:28 PM
2400 acres. SWEET! That's a lot of ground to cover. The good thing about that much land, you can screw up a few times and still find uneducated birds.
I agree thats plenty of area to cover could be several different groups of birds on that much land!

redrivergar

Wear out some boot leather. That's alot of land with great opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dixie Whistler

2400 acres is a lot of land to hunt!  Just try to keep tabs on them from a distance for as long as possible so you dont spook them too much.  And use the most recent info available

bbcoach

This piece of land looks like what I hunt on here in Eastern NC with Pine Forests and cutdowns .  My suggestion to you is drive the roads and look for droppings, tracks, feathers and dust bowls.  The turkeys here will use the roads during the spring to feed on new seed heads and bugs and also use certain areas on the roads for strut zones.  Get a good pair of Binos and watch the roads and cutdowns especially.  As the season drawns near (about a month before), get out at dawn and dusk and use locating calls to see where the birds are roosting at flydown and fly up.  Take your map and map their location.  When you get within a week of the opener, try to pin point their exact locations so you'll have 3 to 4 potential birds to go after.  If you don't spook them to much during your scouting trips, you should have a great Spring season.   By the way, we have killed numerous Gobblers on the roads.  They will follow the hens out on the roads and strut their tails off while the hens are feeding.  GOOD HUNTING!!!!

hunts4ever

::) hey mike. Not sure what the make up of your property is but i would start from the truck with the binoculars. I would get there at first light and listen then try to catch them in a field or clearing. With that much ground to hunt you might have multiple groups. i would concentrate on the nosiest birds and then try to find another group someplace close for a backup. finding the roosts in my opinion is the most important factor in hunting turkeys and i would start there. good luck!!

mbecnel

Thanks Guys,

Deer season is just about over. I have a few areas of interest that I will start scouting. First by truck pre-dawn, then plan on walking the areas looking for some signs. Hopefully I can find the zone and put some to sleep

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!