turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cuts / Cackles on a diaphram ?

Started by Basin_hunter, January 24, 2012, 08:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basin_hunter

I'm at it again trying to learn a mouth call. I am confident in my yelps and clucks, but when I try to cut or cackle it seems to choke out. I am using a couple different types of double reed calls. I started out practicing with a double reed call because I found it was the easiest to use. What type of call would yall recommend for more aggressive calling like cutting ?

:help:

Thanks,

Cody
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

drenalinld

Three reed half moon cutter is a good one to learn cuffs and cackles.

TRKYHTR

I believe that a 3 reed call will be better for you to call on. When I really want to cutt or cackle on a call I use a 3 reed batman cutt. It's got backbone where a 2 reed call just doesn't.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: TRKYHTR on January 24, 2012, 09:48:31 PM
I believe that a 3 reed call will be better for you to call on. When I really want to cutt or cackle on a call I use a 3 reed batman cutt. It's got backbone where a 2 reed call just doesn't.

TRKYHTR
X2.  I like a 3 reed with a little rasp.  My favorite is a 3 or 4 reed bat wing cut.

Basin_hunter

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

Basin_hunter

I picked up a Will Primos signature series call yesterday. It has 2 thin reeds and one latex reed with a batman cut. It does have some bark / pop to it but it seems very raspy when yelping.  Not sure if the call was intended to have this kinda rasp or not. I will keep playing around with it and see how it goes.

stinkpickle

My favorite mouth call for cutting is currently a Hooks 3 Reed V.

Jbird22

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 14, 2012, 02:00:52 PM
My favorite mouth call for cutting is currently a Hooks 3 Reed V.

Mine too, in the Jr version though

mfd1027

3 reeded call's just handle the pressure better and that third reed adds stability to the call.    When you're learning, controlling pressure is tough.   Find yourself either a 3 reeded batwing or the ol standby a "V" cut and give it a try.   I think you'll find that 3 reeded call's can actually be easier to run than a 2 reeded call.

Let us know how it goes.   
Dan

Bamarich

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on January 24, 2012, 11:41:12 PM
Quote from: TRKYHTR on January 24, 2012, 09:48:31 PM

TRKYHTR
X2.  I like a 3 reed with a little rasp.  My favorite is a 3 or 4 reed bat wing cut.

Also sounds like you might be incorrectly managing your air flow... and that only comes with time and practice.

Basin_hunter

I picked up a 3 reed V-cut the other day and I am happy with the results so far. Like yall said, I need to keep practicing on contolling the amount of air flow. I also like the little bit of rasp added by the triple reed.  Thanks for all the input !!

:newmascot:

Cody,