turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy painting tips ?

Started by Basin_hunter, January 24, 2012, 12:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basin_hunter

What is the best type of paint to use when doing touch up painting to fold up foam decoys ? I have several old decoys that could use some touching up done.

Thanks,

Cody
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

Crappiepro

I used Rustoelim enamel, I took and sprayed a puddle on some paper and then used a small brush to paint the places I wanted color. I tried Testor's model paint but it will chip off.
After all the paint had dried I went back and sprayed Armor-all all over the bodies( Not the head part) of the decoys. This gave it a real nice black scheen and it looked really good too. They look brand new at this point LOL.

Basin_hunter

Quote from: Crappiepro on January 24, 2012, 01:05:52 PM
I used Rustoelim enamel, I took and sprayed a puddle on some paper and then used a small brush to paint the places I wanted color. I tried Testor's model paint but it will chip off.
After all the paint had dried I went back and sprayed Armor-all all over the bodies( Not the head part) of the decoys. This gave it a real nice black scheen and it looked really good too. They look brand new at this point LOL.

Thanks ! I need to find the right shade of blue for the heads. I shine mine up with armor-all also but I have spots on the heads where the paint is chipping away. These decoys are prolly 14years old.

gotcha

Krylon fusion, its made for plastic like materials.It comes in all the colors you will need for decoys.

Basin_hunter

Quote from: gotcha on January 24, 2012, 04:26:53 PM
Krylon fusion, its made for plastic like materials.It comes in all the colors you will need for decoys.

Thanks !

FullChoke

Does the Fusion actually remain adhered to the foam material, even when it is being bent and flexed? The flexibility and adherence of the paint has been the problem all along.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

shoe72

ive used some of the cheep fingernail polish.
works great

Tuttle

I've used "model" paint in the past.  You can get the little bottles in any color or sheen that suits you.  I usually mix a few to get the right color of blue/grey for the hens head.

gotcha

Quote from: FullChoke on January 25, 2012, 11:51:30 AM
Does the Fusion actually remain adhered to the foam material, even when it is being bent and flexed? The flexibility and adherence of the paint has been the problem all along.
Better than all other paint I have tried.I think the paint for vinyl that Napa sells would work but colors are limited.

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!