OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What length barrel is ideal?

Started by rebelman, January 23, 2012, 10:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C J Stahly

24" or 26" barrell with an extended choke is still shorter than 28" or 30" with the same extended choke.....Im confused as to what you are looking for...

rebelman

Quote from: C J Stahly on January 24, 2012, 11:28:11 AM
24" or 26" barrell with an extended choke is still shorter than 28" or 30" with the same extended choke.....Im confused as to what you are looking for...

I have a 28" barrel. I want something shorter or so I think. However, most turkey chokes are of the extended variety. I'm contimplating buying a non extended choke for the barrel I have versus buying a shorter barrel and then buying an extended choke. Clear as mud?

decoykrvr

For pumps and automatics that are 3" guns, IMO a 26" barrel is ideal.  If the gun is chambered for 31/2" shells, it has a longer receiver and a barrel length of 26"-24" will give similar handling characteristics.  I've owned turkey guns with 21"-23" barrels and didn't like the increased db's, the shorter sight radius and swing intrinsics, and have noted that barrel movement on short barrels translates to a wider arc of movement and pattern placement at all distances.  There are numerous valid reasons that ammunition and tube manufacturers, and card and competition shooters utilize barrels of 26" or greater.  The maneuverability of a 26" vs 21" barrel in the woods is a moot point unless your pushing through honeysuckle or brambles.  IMO the proliferation of ultra-short turkey guns has been a marketting ploy w/ little or no validation in the real world of turkey hunting.  I started turkey hunting before choke tubes were available and when most waterfowl guns sported 30"+ barrels and killed my first turkeys with a Browning Auto V w/ a 32" full barrel and a Stevens 10 gauge w/ a 36" full barrel which are both extremes at the opposite end of the short barrel discussion.  I don't hunt with either of them anymore.

runngun

I prefer to turkey hunt with a 24 inch barrel due to mobility.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

gophert

Quote from: rebelman on January 24, 2012, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: C J Stahly on January 24, 2012, 11:28:11 AM

I have a 28" barrel. I want something shorter or so I think. However, most turkey chokes are of the extended variety. I'm contimplating buying a non extended choke for the barrel I have versus buying a shorter barrel and then buying an extended choke. Clear as mud?

You could do that but will definitely limit your choices and will probably eliminate some of the best chokes out there. 

mcgruff1533

I think 24" is about perfect.    My 20" Mossberg 535 is too short.    Muzzle blast is significant, and the shorter barrel somewhat limits good patterns.      My 26" barreled 870 is too long for hunting tight cover, or if using a blind.

JUGHEAD

After carrying everything from a 21" barrelled youth gun to a 28" barrelled standard gun.....I think the 23-24" range is about perfect.

dawgfrombama

my  gun has a 24" barrell and its perfect for hunting in tight places.

westtennhunter

Rebelman, I suggest doing what I did with my 28" barrel (if it's a designated turkey gun): Spend $50 having your barrel cut to 23 or 24 and rethreaded for Rem choke. Then you can use a top notch extended choke tube.

MOStrutter

I have two different barrels for my 12 gauge BPS.  I have a 28" for geese and ducks, and a 21 3/4" for turkeys.  I originally had a 26" barrel, but after a mishap while hunting, I had to get the barrel cut down and re-tapped.  This actually works out really well and I still get great patterns.  I never liked turkey hunting with a longer barrel and the shorter barrel is much easier if you hunt out of a blind.

schief

killed bird last year with 20 ga, 21" barrel

goblr77

26" works best for me. It has enough length to get a superior pattern without being overly long and cumbersome. I wing shoot with 26" barrel guns as well. Most just seem to swing and point well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bird

redleg06

With the numbers I can put up shooting TSS and the right choke, the extra barrel length for the sake of getting a better pattern is nearly irrelevant.  I got a 20" barrel last year on my remington (all my other guns are 26)  and when I'm crawling around or moving thru tight spots with lots of briars etc, its extremely nice not to have the extra length.

natman

Quote from: decoykrvr on January 24, 2012, 12:15:22 PM

For pumps and automatics that are 3" guns, IMO a 26" barrel is ideal.  If the gun is chambered for 31/2" shells, it has a longer receiver and a barrel length of 26"-24" will give similar handling characteristics.  I've owned turkey guns with 21"-23" barrels and didn't like the increased db's, the shorter sight radius and swing intrinsics, and have noted that barrel movement on short barrels translates to a wider arc of movement and pattern placement at all distances. 
A second of arc is a second of arc.  Barrel length has nothing to do with it.

There are numerous valid reasons that ammunition and tube manufacturers, and card and competition shooters utilize barrels of 26" or greater. 
There are very good reasons to have a barrel 26" or longer. But they have to do with wingshooting and swing dynamics, not turkey hunting. If you think having a longer barrel gives better patterning PROVE IT. HARD DATA please.

The maneuverability of a 26" vs 21" barrel in the woods is a moot point unless your pushing through honeysuckle or brambles.  IMO the proliferation of ultra-short turkey guns has been a marketting ploy w/ little or no validation in the real world of turkey hunting. 
Try walking through the woods with the gun slung on your shoulder.  You'll appreciate the shorter barrel when it doesn't snag on every bush you walk under. I like a short barreled woods shotgun for the same reason I like a short barreled woods rifle. Nobody has any problem understanding the appeal of a woods carbine, even though the ballistics sacrifice is far greater with a rifle than a shotgun.

I started turkey hunting before choke tubes were available and when most waterfowl guns sported 30"+ barrels and killed my first turkeys with a Browning Auto V w/ a 32" full barrel and a Stevens 10 gauge w/ a 36" full barrel which are both extremes at the opposite end of the short barrel discussion.  I don't hunt with either of them anymore.

Got tired of lugging those long barrels around? I don't blame you.