turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Took my friend hunting yesterday

Started by Beretta686, January 23, 2012, 02:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

Let me rephrase that, a group of us too our friend hunting. It has been just over a year since my friend had a massive stoke after throat cancer surgery. Some may remember my prayer requests. It had been a tough year, but he wanted to go deer hunting. He started this hunting club 13 years ago, Men of God Hunting Club. He created it, put the Fields in and knows it like the back of his hands. Jim is still in a nursing home and has zero use of his right side and can barely speak. We all knew getting out of the nursing home was the best thing for him, even if it was just for an afternoon.

We tried to do it several weeks ago, but he came down with an infection and could not go.

Finally with time running out of the season, we made it work yesterday. Earlier in the week we went by to see where he wanted to hunt, of course he wanted to climb in stands and sit by himself. We all said no way. pick a field and we would make it work. he decided on what we call Will's field. A couple of guys who are members went down the next day and brushed in a double bull blind under the shooting house. I called a friend who is an awesome videographer (even though I tell him to throw the dang camera away during turkey season when he doesn't tell me to shoot and turkeys walk away. That's another story) and a Dr. Nothing like being prepared.

We decided to hunt yesterday morning and get things set up and let Jim shoot off the tripod with the gun rest on it. (made by Caldwell I believe) several folks pitched in and bought it so Jim could use it. That was the easiest way we could set a gun up for him to shoot. Robert, the friend who was picking Jim up at the nursing home was held up at church so he wasn't able to pick him up until almost 1:30.

There was four more of us waiting for them to get there. We walked Doc to the blind and let him get set up and wait for us. The weather was horrible, hot and raining, the radar showed solid green and red heading our way all the way down to the coast. I guess you could say some prayers were said to keep him dry and not get sick. Since they were running late we skipped the range practice. Several hugs and back slaps and we picked him up and set him on the golf cart. One drove, one held Jim and supported him while Robert and I walked the trail to the blind. It took some time, but Jim finally trusted us when we said we would not allow him to fall and we half carried and half assisted him over the braces for the shooting house into the blind. Just as we got him in the blind we looked up and 80 yards down the field out walks 8 long beards. Here we are with a red golf cart and three grown men moving around and they still walk into the field and feed. They didn't leave when we parked the cart behind the blind and walked up the hill. Jim's eyes lit up when he saw the turkeys.

We had 2 in the blind with Jim, I was staying at the truck 300 yards away up the hill, but could not see the field. Jim S. and Bob both hunted close so they could come help if needed.

To say there wasn't a prayers for a safe and successful hunt would be a lying. As I was sitting in my truck listening for a shot, I looked at the radar. The massive area of green and red went around us. Montgomery was getting hammered with a thunderstorm to the north and Highland home was getting hammered to the south. We didn't even have a drop. It rained all morning and was a light drizzle up until 5 minutes before Jim got down there. Makes you think.

The sun set and I knew that was an awesome field, but no shot, we waited until dark when we got the text to come get them. This time we loaded up on the 4 wheelers and golf card and drove to pick him up. They had deer in the field and Doc said they looked like Yahtzee dice rolling into the field, but he didn't shoot. He was waiting on horns. Jim has killed so many trophy deer and even a couple of Boon and Crockett deer in his time, he was still horn hunting with the peak of the rut happening here in Alabama. When asked if he could have killed one of those does Robert and Doc said oh yeah he was dead on them looking through the scope and Jim shook his head yes.

It took some time, but we got him loaded up on the golf cart and then got it stuck in the field and had to pull it up the slick muddy road with the four wheeler. how the thing never flipped over I will never know. I bet if his parents and nurses saw he went through they would have freaked out. We got back to the trucks and everyone had to tell their hunting stories just like at camp. You could see it in his face, it was good for him to be back in the woods.

After some hugs and back slaps we had to get him back to Montgomery. We are all trying to change schedules and see if we can do it again this weekend. We may not, but we will be taking him for some range time and just let him shoot. We also discussed turkey season and trying to get him turkey hunting.

I don't have any pictures, honestly I didn't even think about it. Hopefully Doc will put together a little video from the hunt and I can post it.

As far as Jim's hunt, there was no deer killed, but every prayer was answered. Stayed warm, dry, safe, had a good time, and a sucessfull hunt. What we deefine as sucseeful may be a little different that wate the Lord has in mind. It was a very Successful hunt
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

BOFF

Yes, a successful hunt it was.

So tickled to read everything worked out!!

Praise the Lord for prayers being answered, and for friends who go the extra mile for each of us, when hard times are around.

God Bless,
David B.

drenalinld

That's awesome. Just as you said, a buck would have been icing on the cake, but the real bonus was spending time in the outdoors and with you guys. What a blessing to have some great friends like you. Thanks for sharing the story!

Roostem33

Praise God for good friends, so glad the weather help for you guys. This is something you will never forget!!!

God Bless,
Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

FttFttVroom!

You are all great friends and he's lucky to have you in his life.  My prayers for him and his recovery.

Duke0002

Beautiful story.  Jim is so blessed to have you as friends!  Thank you for posting the report.