OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling at a hung up bird?

Started by timberjack86, January 22, 2012, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYGobblergetter

I have used a gobble call successfully on a few occassions. I hunt private land so I do not need to worry about other hunters. I also used fighting purrs with good success too on birds that were just out of range.

redleg06

I've tried aggressive purring and had it work with some success but never gobbling..mainly because I havent found a reliable way to make a gobble without butchering it.

I've always wondered, and maybe I'm not alone, if some of those hung up birds are subordinate birds in the area and are hanging up because of pecking order and not wanting to cross into another dominant bird's area. I'm probably overthinking that but birds do have a pecking order and I dont think it's farfetched to have a home range or area of dominance like a lot of other animals. If that is the case, I wonder if the gobbling wouldnt do just as much harm as good since the "hang-up line in the sand" is caused by the bird NOT wanting to get into a fight and keeping his distance. Of course the flip side is that some of those birds are probably with hens and just dont feel the need to move so the gobble hits the right button for some of the dominant ones and they want to come in for a fight.

I think turkey have a very simple set of rules to live by and it's anyone's guess (although some folks guess' are more educated than others  :bike2:) which one they are abiding by at a given time but IMO, its just a turkey doing what he does.