OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling at a hung up bird?

Started by timberjack86, January 22, 2012, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey slayer

I have used it before in that situation, and its only worked one time.

BowBendr

I have used it with mixed success before, but I do a lot better by making jake/gobbler calls.

gob09

some really goos advice on this site.. has anyone read the article in the new issue  t&th mag. on ray eye. where he talks about calling in as many or more  birds with gobbler calls as he does with hen talk. it is a good read ..

joker

I've tryed it several times with a shaker gobble call (as a last resort ) but it hasn't worked yet for me.

bgbuck153

Aim@it

THE MOST IMPORTANT----- consideration about doing this is SAFETY!  In my family some distant kinfolk , went hunting  together a few years ago and , yes the unthinkable happened, because of this . PLEASE  use caution.

Jbird22

I have killed one and missed one thanks to a gobble shaker. It don't always work but when it does they will come in mean walking/running!!

SonicBanshee

i hunt public land im afraid to gobble
Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

Duke0002

Never had an ounce of luck with a gobbler shaker.

Quote from: gob09 on February 01, 2012, 07:04:47 AM
some really goos advice on this site.. has anyone read the article in the new issue  t&th mag. on ray eye. where he talks about calling in as many or more  birds with gobbler calls as he does with hen talk. it is a good read ..

Excellent article.  I'm trying to memorize the info!

mfd1027

I gobble at em all the time and not necessarily when they're hung up.    How many times have you been working a bird that's gobbling his fool head off and had a satellite gobbler or gobbler's get fired up.   I kind of look at it like rattling or grunting in the deer woods.   I don't know if it's jealousy, territorial or curiosity that makes a gobble call work.   I just know they work.   Now I grew up in the days when our main call was a Lynch World Champion box call and they came with rubber bands and eye hooks in the lid so we could gobble with them and that's what we did.   A cackle was also the mating call of the wild turkey.  I guess I'm still living in the past because I still gobble and I'll even let out a nice long cackle once in a while.    :gobble:
Dan

ManshipPlantation

I always gobble at birds with hens, seems to entice the hens into coming your way than just hen yelps!

TANK

DK Allen

Some times it works to stop calling & let him wonder!!

zeus26

In certain situations, yes, I will try to make something happen by throwing him a gobble.  If the conditions are right (calm, little to no winds, and he's within earshot), I would rather give him the wing.  I'll do a series of wing flaps trying to sound like multiple birds all stretching their wings.  If you watch a flock of birds from a distance, you'll notice that flapping/stretching their wings is like yawning to us: its addictive!  This, along with a little scratching, can be the ticket to get him to come over that last ridge!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: zach20065 on February 16, 2012, 04:17:57 PM
Quote from: DK Allen on February 16, 2012, 02:59:41 PM
Some times it works to stop calling & let him wonder!!
Ive had to do this on several birds, it just tears them up!! i had 4 birds a couple years ago up in a corner of a big ridge field on the point above me just gobbling their brains out and just staying put. I finally just quit calling and they were up there just double and triple gobbling, they got really fired up that i had stopped. Finally after about 15 minutes of that they couldnt stand it and they came walking right down the point right to me at 15 yards and i killed one of the 4. It was awesome.

Going silent on a turkey is a lethal tactic that will rarely hurt your chances of success.

I go silent on all of them.  It gives them the opportunity to make a decision: go find the hen or leave and head the other way.  If they break, which they often do, you get to shoot them in the face.  If they leave, it gives you the opportunity to reposition to the area they are showing (by moving there) to be more desirable, which will substantially increase your chances of being successful.