OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling at a hung up bird?

Started by timberjack86, January 22, 2012, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack86

I have done this a few times with sucsess. Who else does it?

jakesdad

I have done it before and had success.seems to work best for me later in the morning though.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

WildTigerTrout

NO! I do not use a gobble call but then I hunt primarily public land.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Crappiepro

I've tried it a few times with no success. I have more luck smacking my hat againest my leg, they seem to come in fast and looking for another bird.

DMP

Have had it work a few times later in the morning.  Would never try it on public land.

30_06

It's worked a couple of times for me. I only hunt public land.

paboxcall

Saw it work once on a bird hung up about 250 yards away.  Wouldn't leave that small ridge, gobbled at us as he strutted back and forth.  It was early season youth hunt so woods were wide open still so moving wasn't an option.

Hit him with a couple gobbles and a few minutes later there he was.  Kid didn't get the shot but it was an effective technique for that particular situation.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Eric Gregg

I have a box call that sounds really good as a gobble call.
Has a slot cut underneath where a rubber band can fit around the box into the groove and allows you to shake it.
I have Primos gobble shaker and shaking the box call sounds better

cahaba

I had rather use a jake yelp than a gobble. If that dont work I will try a fighting pur.

FullChoke

I had one old public land gobbler that marched straight away from my hen yelps. I did another set of yelps, waited about 10 seconds and then did a loud Spit 'n' Drum with my mouth. That turned him and he stomped right back up to me, mad as could be. I never got a clear shot at him, but it showed me that calling a boss gobbler with a gobbler call could be very effective.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

sbe2#

Never tried it but a couple years ago I had a bird coming in on a string to about 80 yards.  He was at full strut until another bird gobbled about 300 yards into the timber and he dropped his fan and took off running towards the other bird.  So i think with a boss gobbler it could be very effective.

AndyH

I called a hung up gobbler in for a friend using a box call to gobble with. Messed with him for over 3 hrs before he would finally come those last few yards. It was a late season bird hunting in some thick cover. At times it was the only way to keep him fired up.

TauntoHawk

I've tried for the last two years to gobble effectively with my mouth call in practice and just cant quite get to where id use it in the woods, shaker style sound even worse. Im thinking long are hard about taking the dive on Haint gobble call. Our PA and NY season run really late and by the end of the season the birds dont respond overly well to traditional calling, often I will see several gobblers hang out away from hens and strut but not gobble much.

my current late season tactic has been lots of afternoon glassing and pinning down the roost tree and sliding extremely close to the roost the next morning and trying to get right where they want to fly down.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jblackburn

I have done it with mixed success.  I have better luck gobbling at the Rios I hunt here in OK and up in KS than I did with the easterns in MO when I lived there.  I voice gobble, though and is sounds much more Rio-like than the deep, throaty eastern.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

waturkeynut

This guy came in to a gobble last year. We'd thrown the kitchen sink at him and was about to give up. Luckily we didn't.