OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

mouth calls

Started by rrhunter, January 20, 2012, 01:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhunter

how do you guys keep your mouth calls sounding good and fresh? i keep mine in a snuff can with a sponge cut to fit and damp with mouthwash ,refrigerated when not using.
COME MARCH 15th.....HEADS WILL ROLL!!!!!!!!

WildTigerTrout

I rinse mine off with warm water, then carefully dry them and place them into a plastic ziplock bag and put the bag in the fridge. I have calls that I have used for years.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

turkey harvester

I do the same thing with my mouth calls.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

TauntoHawk

I keep them in the fridge in a container with 3 parts water 1 part mouth wash but I like the idea of the sponge cut to fit the bottom. Im going to do that
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GobbleNut

I carry the stuff I need to make calls with me,...and if I need one, I just make it right then and there....

cahaba

I store mine in the fridge also in a mixture of 1 to 1 water and alcohol free mouthwash. They last a long time.

joker

I store mine in the fridge with reed savers between reeds. While hunting I carry a eyedropper bottle full of water and Before I use them I put a drop of water between the reeds and then remove the reed savers. The reed savers go back in when the call I out of my mouth and back in the case. If the reeds stick the call will sound like crap!!

chad fenton

Good info I have had a few in the past that seem to dry up some.  Like the sponge idea.

TrackeySauresRex

Rinse in warm water.. soak in warm water with a splash of mouth wash.. Pat dry.. separate reeds with cut paper from index cards.. re fridgerate for the off season.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Jbird22

1. Separate reeds with toothpicks, etc...
2. Soak in alcohol free mouthwash for 30 mins - 1 hr
3. Remove and rinse with water
4. Shake em off and put em in the freezer

My reeds would stick eventually if I put em in the fridge. By freezing them, the moisture between the reeds freezes and instantly melts when you put em in your mouth. No more stuck reeds with this method. I have calls that are 2-3 yrs old that still run like new.

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

turkeywhisperer

Quote from: rrhunter on January 20, 2012, 01:54:13 PM
how do you guys keep your mouth calls sounding good and fresh? i keep mine in a snuff can with a sponge cut to fit and damp with mouthwash ,refrigerated when not using.

I have been just rinsing mine off and putting them in the fridge but I like the sound of your idea.. gonna give it a try.

zeus26

The 3 R's: rinse, reed separators and refrigerator.  Once a week (or so) soak in alcohol-free mouth wash.

sippy cup

keep in mouth wash and store in refrigerator :OGturkeyhead:
beware of longdale legend

BP1992

Are you supposed to put them in the refrigerator after every use or is it supposed to be just for long term (between seasons)???