News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New member from Louisiana

Started by Doublej, January 16, 2012, 09:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doublej

Hey ya'll
Names Doublej (or JJ)..I'm a college student(studying Land and Renewable Resource Mgmt.) that is addicted to hunting,fishing, and distance running.
Little "brief" info on my turkey hunting experience so far:
Last year was my first year turkey hunting. I have been deer hunting since four, and everyone that knows me knows that my life is centered around deer hunting. I got on a local deer hunting forum (BayouBucks) a year or so ago and the turkey section got me interested in giving turkey hunting a try. I read everything I could on there and figured I'd go out and see what I could do. My family land has no turkeys so I'm limited to public land.Posted on there to see if anyone would let me just tag along and watch, and that I didn't even need to bring my gun along. Got an offer and gladly accepted! We got ready to go in and I told him I'd leave my gun, he said no bring it. After hearing the first bird gobble I was hooked. We ended up having three gobblers come in at around 40. Due to my low experience I only wanted to shoot 30 or less. they started to leave so my hunting partner shot and missed. He was upset and apologized, but I didn't care..it was an awesome experience. He had to leave so I went back in by myself, around 1pm I called one in to 30 yards it was a little to thick and I had put my slate call down so I went to grab it when he started walking away..I learned quickly that even if the gobbler appears to be looking the other way, he can still see you..haha lesson learned.
The season on that public land was only a few days so the rest of the season I drove 2 hours to the national forest and slept in my truck to hunt, had a few more close calls but never sealed the deal. Even had a white hen almost walk into my lap,which was a very cool experience..Needless to say I'm hooked..and it feels wierd to admit that I may be as equally addicted to turkey hunting as I am to deer hunting!
Sorry for the long intro, just figured I'd share my experience thus far!
Hope ya'll have a great upcoming season!

JVA54

boomer

drenalinld

sharxfan

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

Basser69

Basin_hunter

Welcome Doublej ! I am on bayou bucks as well. I think you will like it here. Lots of great folks here with plenty of turkey knowledge ! 

:newmascot:
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Sully53

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

cannonball

dirt road ninja

Welcome. What part of the state do you live?

Doublej

dlquinn

NRA-STAND AND FIGHT