OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need some Decoy Recomendations

Started by Divenut2, January 15, 2012, 06:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunts4ever

My advice on decoys, dont use them! Ill explain. I also hunt in illinois and it seems like when i use decoys my birds just hang up out of range. I do like them in an open type scenerio but other than that i dont like them at all. Most of what i hunt has thick brush and they come in close lookin but when i use the deeks they want to stand out there and strut. good luck!

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

jblackburn

Honestly, the only decoy I have had consistent luck with is a primos jake mobile with a real jake fan.  I use him early in the season, especially when I bow hunt.  After that, I find that the foam decoys make excellent back rests in my vest, but that is about it.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Turkeyslayer 101

Be sharp but don't cut yourself!

mrlongbeard

Bamarich

Flambeau King Strut and Delta Hens have worked for me in the past.

joshb311

Quote from: Gobble Nole on January 24, 2012, 10:41:15 AM
Killer B with a real fan made with the bracket that comes in the package.  Pretty awesome, you can have that thing laid down and just ease it up if a Tom shows a little interest.  They will not turn it down...

x2 on the Killer B. The silk fan does the job as well. I took my first birds last year (got doubles) over this decoy with the included silk and a pair FeatherLite foam hens. Had one of the hens in a submissive position on the ground in front of the Killer B and they came in on a string. The first Tom took his time and walked and strutted about 75 yards in a straight line to the decoys. A few minutes later the second Tom and a big Jake tried to flank my setup by circling around some heavy brush but once they saw the Killer B looking like he was getting ready to breed that hen they charged right in.

Plus Primo's has OUTSTANDING customer service. Unsuccessfully I tried to locate a replacement silk fan for mine because I was a goober and broke the one that came with it. I contacted Primos and they immediately shipped one out free of charge! I was impressed. They are a great company to deal with IMHO.

FullChoke

In case you are not made out of money, as mentioned before, Carrylite makes a decoy called "Pretty Boy Junior Semi-Strutting Jake". You can find it online for around $40.00 and it is very realistic. It has the same posture and head position as the MUCH more expensive 1/2 struts on the market. I changed the head coloration a little to better match what I wanted it to look like. It is made from a tough rubber-like material that can be folded up for sticking in your vest.

Check it out.  anim_25

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

slb9981