OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need some Decoy Recomendations

Started by Divenut2, January 15, 2012, 06:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divenut2

Hi Folks,

Got hooked (addicted) on turkey hunting last year.  Thinking about hunting with decoys this spring. Any suggestions for decent decoys that are easy to pack/transport? Also, any suggestions as to whether to use hens, toms, both? Any safety related tips would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

sugarray

You'll get lots of answers for DSD which are the best, IMHO.  No more realistic decoy out there.

I use a $5 Walmart and another that I got as a gag gift when I completed my residency.  I have killed turkeys over them for 3 years and had strutters all over them.  I tried an strutting jake a couple of times 2 seasons ago and had horrible luck, birds left the area.  So, if you want a jake, that would be good, but keep the tail down.

Any that you get will work well.

Also, a full strutter will add more risk to you with getting shot, b/c no matter how much info is out there, someone will always come to the calling, especially if you have a gobbling bird answering.

dirt road ninja

Dixie Whistler

I have a primos hen and plan on getting a zink jake this year.  It's gonna be pricey though.

TauntoHawk

DSD are the most realistic

cheap foam decoys are the most portable

I love the Avian X LCD because they are the best balance of both and fall in the middle on price.. If I archery hunted from a blind I would go with DSD but im a run and gunner that needs easier transport.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dlquinn

Picked up a set of featherlite inflatables from Cabelas this year...reviews were good and they look pretty good when I set them up in the yard.

Cheap, easy to transport....they look like they will decoy birds.
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

BIGBOB

I dont think you can beat a dsd decoy.Also their customer service is great should you ever have a problem. BOB

gunnerj

I use decoys in a field hunting situation only. 95% of the time,  I don't even take them out of the truck. Cheap decoys worked  fine for us last year. We shot a couple birds with dekes out last year.  Jake and a feeding hen would be enough. If you get 1, get the jake. We have not shot a tom over a full strut deke yet.  :anim_25: 

Gobble!

I use DSD. They are the best looking and the most expensive.
The Walmart decoys work fine though.

Divenut2

Thank you all for you input and suggestions. I really do appreciate it. Will look into the various recommendations to see which ones I think will fit my needs & budget. I'll let you know what I go with and how they work out for me this spring. Good luck to all and safe hunting this season.

Pat
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

gobbler777

DSD look the best but are a little unhandy in transporting. Fold up foams are easy to transport and will decoy the gobbs in however. Stuffers are great looking but transport tough.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

teke

Gobble Nole

Killer B with a real fan made with the bracket that comes in the package.  Pretty awesome, you can have that thing laid down and just ease it up if a Tom shows a little interest.  They will not turn it down...

bbcoach

I use decoys when I hunt field edges and pine timberland roads.  I use Primos Swingin Hens and Carrylite's Pretty Boy Semi Strut Jake Jr.  They aren't as collapsible as some.  With the Primos Ground Breaker Stake they can be set up to move in the slightest wind or adjusted in case you have strong winds.  What I have realized hunting with decoys is if you have movement in your decoys then the Gobblers don't hang up as often.  A gobbler that comes in and sees a couple of hens or a jake and couple of hens will let down his guard a little but if that same setup has movement to it then your odds go up tremendously.  Best of luck on whatever you decide on.

gob09

i bought a sneaky pete and a hottie hen made by H.S. strut this winter they look pretty good and will transport easy i just dont know how durible they will be