OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hornady turkey shells

Started by slicksbeagles1, January 13, 2012, 05:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

Crappiepro

I did see those. Not a bad price for a new product. I was just wondering about modified/ ic choke requirements. Wonder what kind a pattern those put out.

surehuntsalot

they are going to do real good with a factory full choke,I'll bet you
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

anthonyjhallen

I got around 150 in 10 @ 40 shootin 3" #5 with my encore and IC .660.  Not bad for copper plated lead.

anthonyjhallen

I will look and see if I still have the target.  Also I misspoke about the choke.  It was with the stock turkey choke that came with my encore barrel.

It surpised me as well.

Javi

These shells are a joke. You can easily outperform them with any other winchester shell.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: slicksbeagles1 on January 13, 2012, 05:41:38 PM
anybody tried these

Conditions today were not ideal but mimicked those of many spring days during the turkey season here in Southern Illinois, so I took some of the Hornady shells: 3" with 1.5 oz. of #5 nickel plated lead shot, 4 dr. e.q. of powder and a stated muzzle velocity of 1300 f.p.s.,  to the range to give them a try.

Since those shells use the "VersaTite Wad" that is very similar to the Flitecontrol Wad used in current production Federal shells, I used a combination that has always worked well for them and in fact a choke tube developed specifically for Flitecontrol Wad shells.

I started with a "deep cleaned" bore in a 26" barreled Browning BPS and a Wright's #1 choke with a .670 exit diameter.  The weather conditions were as follows:

Partly Cloudy: 42 °F
Barometer: 30.01 in and rising
Humidity: 65 %
Wind: N 9 mph (My range is sheltered and flags detected no wind.)
Altitude: 410 ft.

I shot at "big paper" 36" x 36" with the shotgun muzzle 40 yards from the target and used Caldwell bags for a secure rest.

The "best" pattern that I had was 42 pellets in 10" and as you'd guess with that number of hits, there were many large gaps in the pattern.

Another observation was that the VersaTite Wads were consistently ripped apart where the "windows" or "brakes" would normally open.

In all fairness, it states on the box that this shell is "Best with Improved Cylinder or Modified Choke".

From what I saw with the damage to the wads after I shot, I would say that .670 is much too tight for this shell. Those wads are pretty stiff and there's not much give to them.

When I have some more time and when weather conditions allow, I'll try another box of these and divide them between an improved cylinder and modified choke tube with the same gun and see what happens.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

anthonyjhallen

Man I could have swore I got better numbers than that.  And I cant find that target anywhere.  Its been driving me crazy.   

Oh well, its not like I will be shootin them anyways this year becaise I know they didnt shoot anywhere close to my service loads (nitros.)