turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal Heavyweight vs hevi shot

Started by bawana, January 13, 2012, 10:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

QuoteSo why do they keep changeing the "internal componets" of there shell all the time?Just curious?

A very legitimate question. Tungsten prices have gone far beyond what anyone would have anticipated when most companies introduced their version of that shot. Most companies import that shot and it's become very expensive if not prohibitive to sell at anything like a profit. Some companies have kept it as a "halo" product but some like Winchester and Remington simply dropped it.

Federal has introduced a lead/lead/tungsten product this year and that may be what you see from them in the future. EM's shot is made here and uses a totally different process but their prices have gone up as well. We became used to good shells at what now seem to be very reasonable prices. Those days may be gone, for tungsten-based shot anyway.

Most companies look for ways to continue to produce acceptable products at prices that are bearable to us as hunters. It's becomming harder and harder each year with escalating prices for all metals as well as all the other components that make up shotshells. I am told that saving 1/4 of one cent on a shell is a very big deal to most companies.

I suspect that we'll continue to see changes in shotshells for the future. Let's just hope that most of them are for the better.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BandedSpur

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 30, 2014, 10:31:23 PM

I suspect that we'll continue to see changes in shotshells for the future.

I won't; that's why I handload.

surehuntsalot

the Federal HW, if I was shooting HTL shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gobble!

I would like a EM HeviShot 3.5" 2.25oz shell loaded with the Federal HW #7s.
Between the two though I will take the HeviSHot shell.

PALongspur

I'll keep on pounding them with my Heavyweight 7s.

GSLAM95

I have a good supply of both the Hevishot #6 and the Heavyweight #7's in 3" for my 20 gauge Benelli fitted with a Sumtoy choke. 
Thus being said I will shoot the Federal HW #7's as long as I can keep buying them.  It hands down out performs the Hevishot in my gun.  The patterns at 40 yards are simply devastating for a 20 gauge load.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Old Gobbler

If I were you ....... Start hoarding premium ammo immediately , before it's too late -

Years from now , people will talking about the good old days when you could actually buy this stuff regardless of the price , I suspect there will in 10 years time a aftermarket business of people reselling premium turkey ammo for extraordinary price marks double...triple what your paying now at the store

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 04, 2015, 10:50:28 PM

If I were you ....... Start hoarding premium ammo immediately , before it's too late -

Years from now , people will talking about the good old days when you could actually buy this stuff regardless of the price , I suspect there will in 10 years time a aftermarket business of people reselling premium turkey ammo for extraordinary price marks double...triple what your paying now at the store

Good advice. I think you're right on the money.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gooserbat

I shoot Fed HW #7 but I'll admit Hevi #7 will out shoot it all day everyday.  I'm just stubborn and won't change. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

pdaugherty

I'd stick to the HEVI #7s, the 3.5's that I've shot just destroy turkeys and put an amazing pattern down range with awesome knock down.