OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal Heavyweight vs hevi shot

Started by bawana, January 13, 2012, 10:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bawana

If you could only buy one type of load for your 3 1/2 inch 12 ga turkey killer, would it be the Federal #7 heavyweight or Hevi shot #7 and why?

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'm sticking with the Hevi-13 #7's regardless of who tries to say anything negative about them.  If they don't kill a turkey cleanly at 50yds, then something else happened besides the shell more than likely or maybe a bad or underpowdered load got through the door.  They are cheaper than the Fed heavyweight and you get more shot in each shell.  This is why I am sticking with these shells out of my 835 and Star Dot choke.  Now I don't condone long shots on turkeys and I want to make it clear, but I would not hesitate to shoot a bird that hung up at 50yds or came into my calling on public ground where I mostly hunt at now and gets in to range where I know for certain I can kill him.  There's just so much that can happen to spook a bird, so when you get the opportunity to shoot you need to be ready for it especially when other hunters can send your bird packing within minutes in heavily hunted areas.  

Now if a pattern like this one with 7's won't cleanly kill any gobbler that walks at even 50yds, then I don't know what else I can say to convince those naysayers nor will I try to waste my time doing it.   I have seen firsthand what these 7's can do to a turkey at right at 50yds and it is devastating with only a 3" 2oz load.  

reynolds243

Hevi!

i like the concept of the federals but not a fan of the flight controlled wad system and have never had any luck with them out of my current chokes and i really dont want to buy another choke for it.

goblr77

I prefer Hevishot for the reasons Brad and Reynolds mentioned. I am one that prefers a heavy payload and the Federal Heavyweight 3.5" loads contain only 1.875 ounces of shot. Hevi 13's have 2.25 ounces. The Flite Control wad is also a big deterrent for me. It's much more finicky about chokes. Hevi 7's will shoot good through just about anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcgruff1533

I wouldn't mind trying some Federal Heavyweight, but there's one thing holding me back...  Indian Creek advises against using their BDS choke with Fed Heavyweight.

CASH

I think it's dumb to make a load with the flight control wad when the majority of after market chokes are designed to strip the wad from the shot column.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

HogBiologist

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on January 13, 2012, 11:39:02 AM
I wouldn't mind trying some Federal Heavyweight, but there's one thing holding me back...  Indian Creek advises against using their BDS choke with Fed Heavyweight.

I actually get great results using a standard Full choke with the FCW.  Killed my jake last year at 45 yds with a single shot NEF pardner with a modified fixed choke.  Knew my pattern was there since I had patterned it before hand.  150+ in the 10" at 40 yds.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

TauntoHawk

Quote from: CASH on January 13, 2012, 11:44:18 AM
I think it's dumb to make a load with the flight control wad when the majority of after market chokes are designed to strip the wad from the shot column.

thats what I dont get either
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

goblr77

Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 13, 2012, 12:21:40 PM
Quote from: CASH on January 13, 2012, 11:44:18 AM

thats what I dont get either

I agree. There's no telling how much money and time Federal invested in the development of that wad. They must have been riding the notion that a turkey hunter doesn't want to experiment with chokes and would prefer to stick with a factory non-ported model. Couldn't be more off base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

anyone who is willing to drop $40 on a box of shells is going to use a aftermarket choke.

has Sumtoy done any testing or made a non ported choke that works well with the flight control wad?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SpitNDrumN

Undertaker chokes love flite control wads.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: bawana on January 13, 2012, 10:45:45 AM
If you could only buy one type of load for your 3 1/2 inch 12 ga turkey killer, would it be the Federal #7 heavyweight or Hevi shot #7 and why?

Hevi-13s. Consistency.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Devastator

Quote from: SpitNDrumN on December 29, 2014, 06:44:47 PM
Undertaker chokes love flite control wads.
So does the Trulock HW 7 choke in both Rem 12's and 20 :icon_thumright:

Devastator

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 30, 2014, 07:19:40 PM
Quote from: bawana on January 13, 2012, 10:45:45 AM

Hevi-13s. Consistency.

Thanks,
Clark
So why do they keep changeing the "internal componets" of there shell all the time?Just curious?