OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Extrema 2 choke/load question...

Started by Dukhntr, January 12, 2012, 09:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dukhntr

Hey guys, looking to get into turkey hunting and think that out of my duck guns, Benelli SBE and Beretta Extrema 2, the Extrema would be best for turkey hunting since it's got such light recoil. Looking to get a choke tube for it. Not sure what to get. Thought about Indian Creek, but would like some input......

mcgruff1533

Would you happen to be from Junction City, Kansas?

Dukhntr

mcgruff1533

You know me as champion221elite

Get an Indian Creek BDS and pair it with Hevi 13 shells.     I like the 3"-2oz-#7 shells, but I've also had pretty good luck with 3"-2.25 oz-#6 shot.

Either way, Mr. Gobbles is good as dead at a minimum of 40 yards.

Do some pattern testing and see which load evenly distributes a good number of pellets into a 10" circle at 40 yards.     A good rule for maximum range is 100 pellets in a 10" circle.    Increase the range 5 yards at a time to see where your gun can no longer consistently put 100 pellets in a 10" circle.     Also keep in mind the temperature plays a big role in pattern density.     A choke/ load combo that puts 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards at 70 degrees will pattern significantly worse when the temps fall into the 30-40 degree range.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Dukhntr on January 12, 2012, 09:34:42 PM
Hey guys, looking to get into turkey hunting and think that out of my duck guns, Benelli SBE and Beretta Extrema 2, the Extrema would be best for turkey hunting since it's got such light recoil. Looking to get a choke tube for it. Not sure what to get. Thought about Indian Creek, but would like some input......

The Hevi-13 Turkey Choke is turning in some great results in the Xrema & Xtrema 2 guns with Hevi-13 standard "Bronze" or "Gold" shells with #6 or #7 shot and the Magnum Blend shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Dukhntr

Clark, where can I get one? Cabelas did not have them listed....

mcgruff1533

Clark sells the Hevi 13 choke tubes on his website.   http://allaboutshooting.com/index.php?cPath=69    

They were around $52 each last time I looked.    He's a good guy to deal with, I've bought two chokes from him in the past.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Dukhntr on January 13, 2012, 06:43:36 AM
Clark, where can I get one? Cabelas did not have them listed....

Sorry I'm a little late in replying. Yes, I do have those on my site. If I can help, just let me know.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on January 13, 2012, 09:49:55 AM
Clark sells the Hevi 13 choke tubes on his website.   http://allaboutshooting.com/index.php?cPath=69    

They were around $52 each last time I looked.    He's a good guy to deal with, I've bought two chokes from him in the past.

Thank you. I appreciate both the business and the kind words.

Thanks again,
Clark

Dukhntr

Yeah, I saw that. I plan to order one here real soon. How come on some tubes (patternmaster) for example, say the benelli Crio and opti-plus are universal and some aren't? I bought a patternmaster for it and the more I shot it, the more it swelled and became harder to get out. I ended up returning it. Will I run into this with the heavi shot choke as well?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Dukhntr on January 14, 2012, 07:53:16 PM
Yeah, I saw that. I plan to order one here real soon. How come on some tubes (patternmaster) for example, say the benelli Crio and opti-plus are universal and some aren't? I bought a patternmaster for it and the more I shot it, the more it swelled and became harder to get out. I ended up returning it. Will I run into this with the heavi shot choke as well?
The Hevi-13 Chokes are made specifically for each gun, your Xtrema2 included. You won't see any swelling with it.

Thanks,
Clark

Longshanks

I have been shooting xtrema 2 for a number of years.  Experimented with most of the quality chokes on the market. Pure Gold, Kicks, Primos JH, etc.  The best combo i found through some of the members here on OG is the Hevi 13 Turkey Choke and Hevi 13 3.5-2.25-7's.  As long as you get good lott numbers (check out previous posts) its the most deadly combo i have found:

300+ in a 10 in circle at 40yds.

Didnt require much accept that i had to buy some bolt on sights to zero the pattern in.  In allot of these guns the POA/ POI goes off with the 3.5 turkey shells but a set of sights, scope, or aimpoint type scope will fix the problem.

That xtrema will be a turkey killing machine with this combo.  :z-guntootsmiley: