turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Traded into a new 20 - questions

Started by Tom Foolery, January 07, 2012, 09:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

I just picked up a new 870 youth 20 with the 21" barrel and I may try to hunt with it this year.  What choke are you all using in these guns, looks like the .555 PG is pretty dandy?

Ammo wise how do the Hevi13 #7's do at 40yds?  I see the Federal HW 7's have a good following also.

Thank!

FullChoke

The Federal HeavyWeight 7's are giving really good patterns at 40 yards and they retain more downrange energy that the HeviShot shells. If you decide to go with the Federals, look at either the Remington Super Full Choke tube or the PureGold Tempest line of tubes. the Tempest choke tubes are designed specifically for the Federal shells in that they are designed to not strip the FlightControl wad from the shot as it leaves the barrel.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

TrkyHntr

My remington 870 compact with a 21" barrel shoots the fed #7's great. I use a hastings .562. With this combo my gun averages in the 170's in the 10" at 40yds.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

Tom Foolery

Thanks for the info.  I may try the Federal loads first, they seem to have a great following.

Kyfoster11

Tom Foolery

FullChoke

They come in both 2-3/4" and 3" lengths. I have only used the 3".

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

I have a youth model 20ga 870 that I use for my turkey hunting,been shooting a Tru-glow .565 and a Carlson .575 choke tube,got a Hastings .570 at the end of last year that I'm going to try out with the Federal 7's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

old frank

My youth 870 with 21" barrel and RSF choke shot 192 holes in a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards. That was with the Federal HW #7's.

I stopped right there and have not tried anything else.

DUPREE

Quote from: old frank on January 10, 2012, 08:11:51 PM
My youth 870 with 21" barrel and RSF choke shot 192 holes in a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards. That was with the Federal HW #7's.

I stopped right there and have not tried anything else.
that is the best numbers I've heard from that combo.

goblr77

The HW 7 and RSF combo didn't work too well for me. A .562 Sumtoy with Hevi 7's was more to my liking. I could probably find something else to give me higher pellet count in the 10" cirlce but the margin of error on a birds head wouldn't be enough with the 20 ga's small payload IMO. Turkeys don't always keep their heads still.

Tom Foolery

Thanks for the info and great pattern pics.  A small store here in town used to carry a ton of Hastings chokes, I am going to today to check inventory.