only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to turkey hunting

Started by Opie, January 11, 2012, 08:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtdawg88

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on January 19, 2012, 10:10:14 PM
Quote from: Curtdawg88 on January 19, 2012, 08:29:40 PM
Welcome to the addiction! I'm fairly new myself. There is a lot of great info on this site. Use it! A few things I won't go without are face mask and gloves, a pot call and a few diaphragms, thermacell, and of course gun. Everything else is just extra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A nice padded seat sure comes in handy if you must sit for any length of time. It pays to be comfortable. Get a good seat!

This is true.  I need to get a better seat!
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

gunnerj

I love my Gob lounger from Cabelas. Lowboy makes a good one too. Patience and sitting still are the keys. I called my first 2 birds in with a Lynch World Champ box call and finished with a push pin. Sound like a turkey without being aggressive. With the gun, shoot it some with your choke. Figure out your pattern/distance and go from there. Make an ethical shot from what your practice tells you.  :anim_25:

trkehunr93

Patience, patience, patience.  That has put more turkeys over a hunters shoulder than anything.  Don't get discouraged if you get skunked, it's happened to all of us more times than we want to admit.  The ones I don't kill teach me more than the ones I do kill, you learn something everytime you go out.  Don't be afraid to try something, whether its moving toward or away from a hung up gobbler.  Tom Kelly has written that he has actually tossed his call out of his reach so he would quit calling to a gobbler, eventually the gobbler couldn't stand being stood up and came looking.  Pay attention to your set up, make sure that when he does come in he will already in shotgun range and will soon be taking the dirt nap.  Most importantly keep your cheek glued to the stock when the shot opportunity presents itself, most misses come from looking over the barrel rather than down it.  Good luck out there and show us some pics!

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!