turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#5 lead ?'s

Started by mnbirdbuster, January 11, 2012, 06:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbirdbuster

its kinda a crossover question between lead shooters and muzzleloading forums but here goes...Bought a "New" Knight TK 2000 last may! Had alot of fun patterning it, but am a little worried bout the load that i got to pattern the best(2oz buffered nickel plated #5 pushed by 70gr Triple7 ffg)! Ive noticed that there are some lead turkey loads out there that dont go really fast also, the Fiocchi Turkey Thunder 2 3/8oz load only goes 1100fps or so i believe! I know i have alot more time left at the range to do more testing of load/powder charge, but i thought id ask a "General" poll of what everyone thinks is necessary as far as velocity as well as any cheap penetration tests that would suffice and put me at ease when i take the TK afield this spring? Ive found some recommendations of using a tuns/soup can as a penetration test, and it sound like a solid medium! The gun in my eyes is a 40yd gun with the patterns its producing, maybe a touch longer but thats it!Figuring these things out, is kinda like witchcraft compared to just popping a shell in the chamber of a shotgun every morning and walking out to the blind! That being said, i love the idea of customizing and experimenting with different loads! My gut tells me that im a little light on powder charge and will either have to increase powder charge probably 15gr minimum, or reduce shot charge 1/4-1/2oz! Any thoughts?

Longshanks

TK 2000 NWTF has been allot of fun over the years..I'm not really a tech guy or caught up on velocity or penetration. I've been shooting 90-100 grains of 777 and using the knight shot products..filled to the top with 5's or 6's, chilled lead shot. Killed allot of turkeys at 40yds or less. The 6's pattern much better than the 5's in my gun. For me the science project of trying to get the PW to shoot more efficient wasn't worth the time and effort.  Hunting with a primitive weapon,I always try to get the shots a little closer. That's the challenge for me that makes the primitive weapon fun. :anim_25:

mnbirdbuster

Yes they are very fun :) Im a muzzleloader guy to boot, but always for one reason or another never really got into the shotgun end of it till now! I tried the gun with the knight wads/overshot cards provided, and didnt get the results that "I" like for a turkey hunting pattern! I went to the traditional method of loading a muzzleloading shotgun(over powder cards/wads/fiber wads, to take advantage of the jug choke and instantly got the results i was looking for! The shot im using is actually shot i robbed from Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loaded ammo that i use for pheasant! I noticed that i was getting deformation with regular lead, and also copper plated lead! I then tried a few shots of the nickel plated lead and the patterns tightened! Buffering also tightened the patterns afterwards! I did a run through of #4, #5, #6 shot that i orphaned, on the patterning board with various powder charges and the gun seemed to favor the #5! i havent shot the gun in months, gave her a good cleaning and stored her!

WildTigerTrout

I load 110 gr.( by volume) of Pyrodex with Knight shot cups and 2 oz. of Lawrence brand copper plated 6 shot. It patterns very well but kicks like H__L. I have only shot it on the range thusfar but plan on using it this spring. IMO any Gobbler inside 40 yards is in trouble!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

surehuntsalot

1,000-1,100 fps will kill birds all day long
the old 3.5" 2-1/4oz #5 lead lods that I shoot are 1,150 fps and I,ve never seen a bird know the deference
between 1,150 and 1,300
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Longshanks

Quote from: mnbirdbuster on January 11, 2012, 08:18:55 PM
Yes they are very fun :) Im a muzzleloader guy to boot, but always for one reason or another never really got into the shotgun end of it till now! I tried the gun with the knight wads/overshot cards provided, and didnt get the results that "I" like for a turkey hunting pattern! I went to the traditional method of loading a muzzleloading shotgun(over powder cards/wads/fiber wads, to take advantage of the jug choke and instantly got the results i was looking for! The shot im using is actually shot i robbed from Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loaded ammo that i use for pheasant! I noticed that i was getting deformation with regular lead, and also copper plated lead! I then tried a few shots of the nickel plated lead and the patterns tightened! Buffering also tightened the patterns afterwards! I did a run through of #4, #5, #6 shot that i orphaned, on the patterning board with various powder charges and the gun seemed to favor the #5! i havent shot the gun in months, gave her a good cleaning and stored her!

Yup, ive heard some of the TK 2000's shoot better than others with the factory products. Sounds like you have done allot of home work with the ole smoke pole. If you want more velocity and penetration I would go up with the powder 5 grains at a time until your pattern becomes unsatisfactory and then back off a bit. Sounds like what you really need is a turkey standing in front of you. :icon_thumright:

mnbirdbuster

Thanks everyone :thanks:, i do actually have access to a chronograph, but was trying to skip a trip to the guys house to use it by devising a "Crude" penetration test of my own! 1000fps huh... doesnt sound all that hard to achieve with this gun, im sure alot of you have noticed in alot of gun/choke combos that the heavier payloads that are moving 200-300fps slower than loads marketed as "Hi Velocity" tend to pattern much tighter! Seems like the hotter powder charge blows the pattern! Ive also heard it said that Triple7 isnt a very good muzzleloading shotgun propellent due to its "Potency" over real BP or Pyrodex! With the 15% ratio, my current loading of 70gr would be equal to about 80.5gr of BP! Anybody with any more insight?

Longshanks

Thus my suggestion to go up 5 grains at a time. If you want more velocity with the same shot..where else you gonna get it..you still have 10 or so grains to play with.

mnbirdbuster

My thought exactly 'shanks :fud: Ill get her tuned to be a total head knocker!!! I get around 130 or so pellets at 40yds in a 12" circle that i traced on the 2oz/70gr pattern! If i lose 20-30 pellets with the increase in powder charge and the pattern holds true id be more than happy!

Longshanks

Good luck man! Sounds like you have a turkey slayer for the spring.  Nice to see someone else fired up about the primitive weapon. Look forward to seeing some turkey pictures this spring. :z-guntootsmiley:

mnbirdbuster

:z-winnersmiley: Totally fired up! Id say that this cannon is far from primitive, as i have buddies with shotguns and fancy non tox loads that dont get patterns like the TK! im glad that they(Knight) are back in biz, and that they brought back a new and improved TK 2000 turkey slayer :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an Good luck, post pics of your pre season patterns/recipes and harvest pics and ill do the same! Hunting MN, SD, and either WI or NE in 2012  :z-guntootsmiley:

DKA

Have used lead # 5's for years & they are deadly on Toms.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Using Lead #5 Shot helps to negate the effects of lower velocity.  #5 Shot is some bad medicine.  I would think that velocity is much more important with shot sizes smaller than #5.