Why a semi-strut jake is the only decoy you need

Started by Footballer, January 10, 2012, 03:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnieB

vaturkey

Vaturkey

joker

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

Bamarich

Quote from: Footballer on January 10, 2012, 03:19:21 PM
I'm like most hunters and generally only use decoys when hunting fields. However, I'll often carry a semi-strut jake with me when cutting and running or if I'm hunting in the woods.

I'm not a fan (pun intended) of full-strut decoys because they are bulky and intimidating. The benefits of using one do not make up for the burden of having to tote one around.  

As opposed to using a single hen decoy, a jake decoy combined with your calling actually gives the impression that two turkeys are in the area instead of just one. Once a gobbler spots a single hen decoy, he will likely hang up and your calling will do little to persuade him otherwise. Conversely, when the gobbler spots the jake decoy, he still believes a hen is close by and is less likely to hang up. If he doesn't come charging in once he sees the decoy, you can usually persuade him within gun range with a few soft calls.

This is especially true once the hens start nesting. If you are set up along the edge of a field with the jake infront of you, it gives the impression that a hen is on her nest and the jake is waiting for her. I can't tell you how many times I've hammered jealous gobblers with this tactic.

Thanks for sharing... though you don't want to use this tactic when you have an overabundance of jakes in your hunting area.

Grant Flaming

I look forward to seeing how gobblers react to these types of decoys this spring. I just got my H.S. strut sneaky pete from midway, looks pretty good for a $29 decoy!

mfd1027

Here's mine.   "If" I carry a deke this is it.   I can strap it to my Big Game seat and away we go.  The tail folds up and goes inside the body with the stake.   If I do set it up it's real easy to carry and I'll usually just grab it and go.    

Dan

Bamarich

Have killed my fair share over a Flambeau Master Series jake in the past... hardly ever use it now.

billinsd

bgbuck153

leasburg

Good info, makes sence i usualy use a jake mounting a hen with another feeding hen in the feild b mobile has worked for me, but almost screwed me as well.  just got done whatching primos new vid and 95% of there kills were over b mobile however i am sure they forgot to show the epic fails
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

Mike Honcho

I think this strategy makes a lot of sense.  I was thinking about buying a full strut tom decoy this year but after reading this I ordered a Primos Jake Mobil from Dunns.  Thay have a great price and free shipping on them.

ElkTurkMan

Great thread.  I have never thought of this before.

huntinhard

Quote from: JUGHEAD on February 03, 2012, 10:07:03 AM
Quote from: Trevor2 on February 01, 2012, 03:59:05 PM
What half strut jake do yall reccommend? I like the foam dekes but with a half strut I dont guess thats an option.
X2

IF you can find one feather flex made a bubba jake decoy that was a foam half strut jake. It was made to be set up on a feather flex hen as a breeding pair. I still break it out with my DSD hens because I can just stuff it in the bag. It will be hard to find though, I don't think they make it anymore. I found mine in an old outdoors store

jakebird

No doubt that when u use a jake with a hen, the gobbler always approaches the jake to challenge him. The only problem i see is in years when there are a ton of jakes following a good hatch. Last yr was a good example, we were covered in jakes almost everywhere we went. Many times they gang up and can actually run off the mature birds. This is the exception and not the rule, but i like to be prepared for evrythng, so i will still carry two dekes, a feeding hen and my upright "cross dresser" that is my own creation and absolutely deadly....  ;)
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?