Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Why a semi-strut jake is the only decoy you need

Started by Footballer, January 10, 2012, 03:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

I'm like most hunters and generally only use decoys when hunting fields. However, I'll often carry a semi-strut jake with me when cutting and running or if I'm hunting in the woods.

I'm not a fan (pun intended) of full-strut decoys because they are bulky and intimidating. The benefits of using one do not make up for the burden of having to tote one around.  

As opposed to using a single hen decoy, a jake decoy combined with your calling actually gives the impression that two turkeys are in the area instead of just one. Once a gobbler spots a single hen decoy, he will likely hang up and your calling will do little to persuade him otherwise. Conversely, when the gobbler spots the jake decoy, he still believes a hen is close by and is less likely to hang up. If he doesn't come charging in once he sees the decoy, you can usually persuade him within gun range with a few soft calls.

This is especially true once the hens start nesting. If you are set up along the edge of a field with the jake infront of you, it gives the impression that a hen is on her nest and the jake is waiting for her. I can't tell you how many times I've hammered jealous gobblers with this tactic.

strut and spurs

i don't hardly ever use decoys but some of my buddies do and it seems the full strut runs off as many if not more turkey as it brings in

dirt road ninja

The few birds I've shot over dekes almost always walk right past the hen to the jake. If I only carry one it's the jake.

Basin_hunter

Good info ! I don't even own a full strut decoy. 
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

bbcoach

Footballer,
I've had great success hunting with hen decoys, especially feeding hen decoys.  I'm always trying to learn new techniques to stack the odds in my favor when hunting these wily birds.  I do have a strutting jake decoy and I would like to hear more about how you setup your half strutter for success (ie position of the decoy in relation to your setup, position of the tail etc) 

Footballer

I try to set my jake up broadside to where I think the gobbler will approach. I like broadside because the gobbler will immediately see the jake's head and tail fan. With a semi-strut jake, their heads are usually tucked into their body and hard to see if facing away from the gobbler.

vaturkey

I use the semi strut jake & a upright hen. Everytime the gobbler comes in he will run straight to the jake decoy and beat,flog, peck, & finally knock the decoy off the stake and stomp him. Now that the jake is out of the picture he will go & try to breed the hen, I have never ever ever had a gobbler spook from a half strut jake decoy. Look at the fire in his eye. That's from the flash on my camera @ 30 yds. & he never even paid any attention to it .  :newmascot:
Vaturkey

gob09

thats sounds like it just might work i def. will have to try it thanks for shareing

gooblnfever

sbe2#

Very good info. I had a couple hang up last year when using a full strut decoy and quit using it.

Trevor2

What half strut jake do yall reccommend? I like the foam dekes but with a half strut I dont guess thats an option.
Strutstopper

nyturkeyduster

Good observation, I have a B-Mobile but don't use it much because it has spooked just as many birds as it has drawn in.  I still prefer a passive jake decoy because a jealous bird can't resist to whoop up on a young gobbler that isn't even looking for a fight.

JUGHEAD

Quote from: Trevor2 on February 01, 2012, 03:59:05 PM
What half strut jake do yall reccommend? I like the foam dekes but with a half strut I dont guess thats an option.
X2