OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling Hens

Started by Footballer, January 10, 2012, 02:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg06

Quote from: guesswho on January 10, 2012, 04:48:24 PM

I myself have seen a couple strut but never gobble. 

Same here.   

Flyrodder

I saw a hen on the roost sound like a young jake trying to gobble. When she flew down, she came by me and tried to gobble again. This is the only time I've saw it.
Flyrodder

Gooserbat

I watched a hen strut last spring and I mean strut not just hackle her feathers a bit.  She was "dancing" with a tom for several minutes untill I ended their dance.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

reflexl

I saw one strut last year and run up in a class of jakes. About 4 years ago I was set up on a huge field and a hen came running to my call. She got up to the lone hen decoy and started the most pitiful gobble I ever heard but no doubt that it was a gobble. reflexl

turkey_slayer

Heard one a few years ago. She would start with a 2 note yelp and break into a gobble. I had her fired up. It was very low pitch and I doubt you cld have heard it very far. Might have heard it up to 200 yards. It was pretty cool