OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling Hens

Started by Footballer, January 10, 2012, 02:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

Has anybody heard a hen gobble? Last spring I watched a hen semi-gobble after every yelp. I'm not sure if she was confused or just blessed with a little extra testosterone...

TauntoHawk

two years ago my dad and his buddy came back from a hunt in Eastern NY saying the called in one angry lone hen that strutted and "gobbled" obviously it more of a choked off attept gobble like a young jakes but it was very clear it was "gobbling" as well as very aggressive cutts.. we almost didnt believe them until they showed me and my buddy a cell phone video of her at 10yds strutting back and forth..

we talked about how it was a once in a lifetime thing to see.. the very next morning on another farm a good 15 miles away me and my buddy were calling to a flock of birds shortly after fly down when a hen came in heated, yelping and cutting her head off. when she couldnt find the intruding hen (us) she began strutting back and forth drawing in a few toms and jakes behind her which all dropped into strut together.

it was unbelievable how the day before I had never heard of it and now 4 of us had seen it from 2 different hens. IMO its a dominance thing with hens the same as Toms, and an old boss hen that is all worked up and ready to defend her turff from some loud mouth stranger or show off infront of the other hens and watching Toms.

It took a few minutes for them to settle down enough that I could get a clean shot at a lone Tom and not get a strutting jake or that hen mixed in. That was one of my all time best hunts and is still one of my most productive spots.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

drenalinld

I encountered a hen on two consecutive days last Spring in NE that strutted like crazy and cutt at us like mad, but she never gobbled although we were wondering if she might since she strutted for the better part of 30 minutes before we smacked two long beards behind her. She may have been the boss hen, but she was not old. She had a fan like a jake with the four center primary feathers longer than the rest.

guesswho

There was a member on here last year that video'd a whole flock of gobbling hens.   Said it's not unusual in the areas he hunts.

I myself have seen a couple strut but never gobble. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

gob09

i have seen them strut but never gobble

TRKYHTR

Yes I have seen them strut and gobble. I have a good video of a struttin hen. She actually spits and drums as well. I didn't get a video of the gobbling hen.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

strut and spurs

heard them gobble on tv.

gooblnfever

seen then strut but not gobble

Ruger M77

I've seen 2 hens that strutted and gobbled both of them were hens with poults in the fall. Both of them started it while i was calling to them.The one came running in to 10yds seemed like she was trying to run off the turkey she heard.
I eat therefore I hunt

hookedspur

Yes I have had them answer a call and come in looking for a fight , doing their best to Gobble .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

jblackburn

I've never seen a wild hen do it, but I used to raise a few yard turkeys when I was a kid and used to see it from one of my hens.  She used to strut and gobble all the time, she would also raise a brood every year.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

chatterbox

I have never heard them gobble, but Harrison and I witnessed one a couple years ago strut, then lower her tail, do a fighting purr, and flog my hen decoy!
Pretty fun to watch. She wasn't very big, but she packed some serious attitude! Everytime I would yelp or cut, she would come running and size up my decoy. Funny stuff.

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

Turkeykiller12

Had this happen to me in GA last season. This was a first for me. The hen was acting very aggressive and came in very close doing her best act at gobbling and half way strutting  It was a sight to see

MCase

Seen 1 Srut....and 1 Gobble.