OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey behavior question

Started by sharxfan, January 10, 2012, 12:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharxfan

I have a question on turkey behavior....I see them at my deer stand during deer season in say Dec-Jan will they still be in that area come late march for turkey season? I guess the question is do turkeys have a home range like a deer or are they nomadic and travel around with no set home base?

Also when should I start hearing them in the woods? I was in the stand this last weekend and did not hear a peep and I know there are turkey in the area because I see them intermittently feeding at a neighboring stands food plot.

Basin_hunter

In most cases turkeys will have spring and winter ranges. In our lease we have turkeys that show up in the fall because of the acorns then they vanish in the spring. If you have habitat suitable for nesting there is a good chance they will hang around.  Also pastures, big food plots etc where they can hunt for bugs is a big plus. Also they will normally start gobbling as the days get longer, for us its usually late Feb.
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

drenalinld

Home range changes with seasonal food sources. Some areas hold turkeys year around. Many areas hold turkeys in the Winter but the turkeys move out with Spring green-up which can be frustrating since this is the same time frame as breeding season in many areas.

sharxfan

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will start listening more in the following months while pig hunting and see if I can narrow down the area they are using as the season gets closer. I was wondering for a bit if we had the rare mute species of turkey as I have never heard them in the woods even though I have seen them.

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

gobbler777

In the late winter the flocks break up and the hens pick out nesting habitat ... the gobbs just follow them wherever they go. LOL
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland