News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tight Lipped Gobblers

Started by Eric Gregg, January 09, 2012, 10:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

Quote from: TeocTom on January 09, 2012, 10:55:32 PM
Here is something that I have not seen mentioned on any of the forum.
I have heard many accounts of gobblers showing up without ever gobbling.
Hunter cold called, nothing responded, they sit tight and all of a sudden a gobbler comes sneaking by.

How many of you guys have had this happen
These are the hunts that I really blunder up. lol :TrainWreck1:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

jakebird

That's your typical satellite gobbler. Often two yr olds but sometimes older birds, too. Ya just never know exactly how the pecking order will look from year to year. Ive already seen a gang of jakes bully around the longbeards after a boomer hatch, and mature birds lived in fear that spring. The one i managed to kill was a three yr old that came in silent and on high alert while a bunch of jakes tended to some hens in a nearby field. Usually i get a satellite bird sneaking in while im trying to work or outmanuever a henned up boss bird. The satellite gobblers are always nearby, being opportunists. Always hoping to find a willing hen while remaining undetected by the boss's sharp spurs. I for one, love these kind. They save a lot of hunting trips. Ive literally gone from cursing my luck with henned up boss toms one minute, to tying on a tag in the next when a satellite bird snuck in and met my gun. Knowing they are nearby and silent, helps makes me hunt better and sit  still for longer.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?