OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tight Lipped Gobblers

Started by Eric Gregg, January 09, 2012, 10:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Gregg

Here is something that I have not seen mentioned on any of the forum.
I have heard many accounts of gobblers showing up without ever gobbling.
Hunter cold called, nothing responded, they sit tight and all of a sudden a gobbler comes sneaking by.

How many of you guys have had this happen

J Gilbert

That's what happened with my double-bearded bird last year.  He and another bird came in silently, had no clue they were there until they were at 20 yards as they came from behind me. Also had it happen the season before with two birds along with a harem of something like 15 hens. 

El Pavo Grande

I have had it happen several times over the years, most common in the late morning or afternoons.  Usually when nothing is gobbling, and I have time, I may be sitting on some fresh sign (tracks or scratching, etc.) and being patient.   

socalturkeyman

It happened a few time to me on a small 40acre lot of private land. That turkey would always skirt the back road on the neighbors land and it was well inside of shooting range I just couldnt bring myself to shoot into there land since there was alway a group of kid attending the church camp there. He said I could but I just couldnt bring myselff to do it.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

gob09

it's happened to me and i've spooked them a few times too

WildTigerTrout

I killed one gobbler like that. He came in REAL quiet. I heard him walking in the leaves and thought it was a deer.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

SWAMPFOX

has happened to me quite a bit. especially mid season after 10;00

Basin_hunter

I killed 1 last year in Kansas mid day that gobbled one time. All I needed was that 1. Lol
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

Footballer

Numerous times. That's why I usually put a decoy out if I'm cold calling. If I'm caught off guard, his attention will usually be on the decoy and not me. Also, this is where a shooting stick comes in handy as you can get by with a lot less movement if your gun is already up and not in your lap.

GobblerChaser

Happens all the time. I love scoring a sneaker particularly when I know there are gobbling birds in the area. The sneaker is always a bonus bird.

Remember that gobblers do way more drumming than gobbling. Quiet birds are pretty normal.

Safe and Happy Hunting!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Follow me on twitter @GobblerChaser.

paintbrush

I've had that happen more then a couple of times. Sometimes I nail them  :), sometimes I screw it up!  :(

Ruger M77

One morning i hadn't heard anything so i set up and was just calling now and then for awhile and after awhile fell asleep woke up and theres agobbler and 2 hens standing 20yds in front of me! tried to slowly get my gun up but they picked me off of course and took off i managed 2 cut some pulp wood  :)
I eat therefore I hunt

contagious

QuoteOne morning i hadn't heard anything so i set up and was just calling now and then for awhile and after awhile fell asleep woke up and theres agobbler and 2 hens standing 20yds in front of me! tried to slowly get my gun up but they picked me off of course and took off i managed 2 cut some pulp wood  Smiley

LOL.!!!!!

gooblnfever

maineguide

Yup it happened to me this past spring on opening day and the next day. The first morning I had 5 birds come in and 2 the next day.