OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey Locator, How important is it and how effective???

Started by Gunman21, January 06, 2012, 08:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgbuck153

Primos power crystal is the best crow locator call that I've ever used . I normally wait until I hear the first crow in the morning then I use it . When I don't want to keep calling to the bird when I'm moving on him I will blow on it periodically to keep tabs on him .

nyturkeyduster

I typically wait until the birds gobble on their own, when that doesn't happen; I hit my crow or goose call to get them going. It's not 100% foolproof, but I wouldn't leave a locator call out of my vest.

JohnnieB

I use a coyote howler in the evening when roosting birds. In the morning darkness I will use a hoot tube occasionally. Later in the morning I switch to either a crow or pileated woodpecker call. These all usually work pretty well.

Mr16Gauge

Where we hunt the 1st day of season corresponds with an automotive event on the adjoining property.  I have seen my brother throw everything including the kitchen sink call, and no response.

The birds started making noise, when the Hot Rods were started and reved up on the next property.

Going to get me a recored big block Chevy for my shock call this year !!!!!

hitnmissngrin

Very early in the spring, last week of March, when jakes and toms are hanging together but not actively beginning to breed or fight yet, they will sometimes respond during the day to a wobbler shock call. This is my last resort call after they ignore all hen calls.  I did it once out of frustration and it worked.  I tried it again the following spring and it worked again.  And again the next.  Go figure. 

redleg06

They are great some of the time....just like all the other stuff we carry with us (nothing works every time).

I generally use them when I've found a gobbler and maybe they arent coming in, for whatever reason, and I need to keep track of him while I change my position. I dont want him to start heading my direction by using a hen call to locate him while I'm moving.

JWC07

I carry a crow and a woodpecker. I think they're like anything and some will gobble to em and some will not. But I definitely try to rely on natural crows and things but I always try the woodpecker before I try an actual call. If one's on top of me I'd like the chance to sit down before he comes to me. I also always look to make sure I'm beside a tree or something I can get down in if one rattles off real close when I make turkey sounds. I had that happen 1 time and I laid on my belly in the briars next to a logging road for an hour before I actually shot him from a prone position. he was only like 50 yds when he gobbled and i wasn't ready.

It was a mad scenario when he started gobbling and I got him coming. He was gobbling a drumming like a lunatic. Birds started firing off and coming from all around me. 2 were on the other side of a big creek to my right. One behind me where i just came from and at least one other in front of me besides the one that was working. It was mass hysteria! Dude with me got screwed though cause I'm a bird in the hand kinda guy and whacked the 1st longbeard to step into a clear shooting lane. He got to take my picture. :)

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!