OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey Locator, How important is it and how effective???

Started by Gunman21, January 06, 2012, 08:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamblinman

Quote from: Neill_Prater on January 07, 2012, 11:39:04 AM
This kind of goes along with the post Guesswho made about roosting birds. There was a time, when I started turkey hunting here in the 70's, that it was easy to get a gobble using a gobble call, even after flydown ( I know, but there weren't many hunters, and it was private land). Now, that is basically a waste of time.

Then, for many years, I located, and subsequently killed, probably a couple of dozen birds at least, using an old no-name crow call I have that is quite loud. I rarely used it early, but if I didn't hear a bird on the roost I often would after hearing some real crows sound off, or, more importantly, later in the morning.

Now, now being the past few years, I rarely use the same call anymore strictly as a locator, because I just got tired of blowing the damned thing and not hearing anything, especially when I'm hunting in the South. I don't know if others have noticed this or not, but in my experience, birds just don't seem to shock gobble nearly as easily as they did 3 decades ago. I have no clue as to why not, but I honestly don't believe they do. In some ways, it is a plus, because we all know a bird that shock gobbles isn't necessarily receptive to calling in, so if you do hear a gobbler sound off on his own, it is probably more likely you will be able to seal the deal. Neill

The reason I use an air horn now to make them shock gobble.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

n2deer

Rarely use them myself.

I travel light and don't care to carry anything I won't use. I sometimes take my crow call around my neck and owl with my voice.

Most of the time I try not to give them slightest chance to know I'm there till that gun barks.
There are some places it won't matter, but hunting heavily hunted birds is different. They get somewhat suspicious about all that noise and that blob of camo walking through the woods every day.

Some places I have hunted you could stand by the trucks at dark and yell and the would sound off until you got bored and wanted to get some rest.

scott ellis

I think as a whole they probably do gobble less at the gamut of locators, especially on public land.  But I still try, before I make hen calls, with hope he gives away his position so I can make a strategic set up before he starts working towards my set up.

You hear folks talk about being more realistic on our turkey calls, but food for thought, truly add realism to your locator calls you'd be suprised how much better of a reaction you would have from the gobblers.  Also change up your sequences-for example- a barred owl scream instead of the eight note hoot- or a single note owl hoot with a nice roll at the end.  Start a fighting sequence with a crow call instead of caw caw caw......

se

ThicketThrasher

With the woods I hunt being lots of NF ground, I am rarely near the birds at first light because I don't know where they are at. I will use an owl hooter a couple of times but hardly ever get a response. During the day I will use a box call to try and locate a bird. I have found that a box call works for me as good as a crow call.

Woodsman4God

No t being an expert alls I can say is if they do sound off for you it just gives you an idea of where to setup if you are not certain where they are and why

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: PaTurkHntr on January 07, 2012, 05:57:59 AM
I don't use locator calls I just stand along a road somewhere and listen for about 20 minutes

Every year before the season starts I try to locate as many gobblers as I can, all on public land. I usually have located up to 60 birds by then, at least I did last year. By the middle of the season everything quiets down with all the pressure we get around here. If I don't hear anything anywhere I always walk the areas where I heard them before  but the only locator call I use is cutting then yelping, or just yelping. I found alot last year by this method.

C J Stahly

As was said earlier, I have seen the crow calls be effective around 1030-11 once the birds around here seem to get tight lipped.  The crow call usually gets them going at least long enough to find out where they are and get set up where you think you can get them into range. 

maustypsu

I absolutely use a locator call.  That crow isn't always where you want him when you want him.  i don't use it first thing because the crows are cruising and sounding off a bunch.  But if I need to keep track of a bird while I reposition I use one.  I also use them during scouting.  Before I'll cross a field or come over a ridge top I will hit a crow call to make sure I don't bump one.

I've also had success with a peacock call.  Recommend them after the turkeys have quit gobbling.  That annoying sound would make me mad enough to yell back if I was a gobbler...   :angry9:

And yes they work.  I could credit them for many birds that I may have spooked or walked past.  The two rules to remember is don't over use them and don't assume they will get a response every time.  If you are where you think the turkeys want to be but don't get an answer to your locator, don't just move on.  Hunt it as you would if you didn't have the locator. 

Wingbone

I use locator calls religiously here in west TN. Mainly because I don't want to bust any and I know where they are heading usually based on what part of my farm they gobble from. I don't want them to think there is a hen anywhere around till get to the spot I know I can work them from. I don't always go just by passing crows because I've seen alot of birds keep lips sealed till one buzzes them right overhead. I also use owls late morning simply because it has more shock factor by then than a crow call does.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

socalturkeyman

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on January 06, 2012, 11:02:28 PM
Quote from: TeocTom on January 06, 2012, 10:48:30 PM
Quote from: WildTigerTrout on January 06, 2012, 10:41:14 PM
The only locator call I use much is the crow call and then only sparingly. I listen to the REAL crows first to see if a gobbler will go off. If they don't go off on a real crow what good is it to use a call. One call I will NOT use is a coyote.  I will use a turkey call as a last resort.
Yeah, you gotta watch what type of call you use....may get a yote instead :fud:
IMO a coyote call scares them and shuts them up, at least here in my little part of Pennsylvania. I don't think the Old Gobbler wants to sound off with a coyote lurking about.
I use a yote call out here in california and works wonders in most of the state. Except in the main area I hunt which is San Diego county,there is to many of them there for it to work. I use a snow goose or elk call down there oh and a duck call. They work just fine down in the south.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

WildTigerTrout

A coyote call may be a fine choice for Ca. IMO it is not for these smart, pressured Pa. birds. I don't know anybody here who uses one.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Kylongspur88

Locator calls are a good way to avoid bumping birds when your on the move. I use owl calls or goose calls. Never had much luck with crow calls.

socalturkeyman

WildTigerTrout , Thats one of the reasons it doesnt work in San Diego county too many people pushin birds around and hitting them with every standard locator on the market. Also to yote population is also high. Thats why I've gone to the extrem and use elk,snow goose and duck calls. I might have to get a peacock call to try it out,since there is a farm that has them and I hear turkey sound off to them. Im not to sure if it will work,but Im always willing to try it out...
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

ferocious calls

A locator is very important to me. Can make the day when all else fails.

I sell an air horn for this specific need. Ferocious Shock locator.
Gave one to a friend to take to the mountains hunting.
Later we were talking and he said, " OH yeah, that shocker really works" I smiled and shook my head yes.
10.00 will get you one delivered. PM me if you want the loudest locator in the woods.
Very small and light but powerfull.

CASH

I use a crow call A LOT.  Especially when moving on a bird.  One of the gobblers I killed last year was tracked by a crow call.  He would gobble at everything, but stay with his hens.  We were able to track his movements using the crow call, get in front of him and then we just scratched in the leaves until his hen walked past us and he kept coming straight in.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.