OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey Locator, How important is it and how effective???

Started by Gunman21, January 06, 2012, 08:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunman21

Ive been turkey hunting for about 2 years and i hear alot about turkey locators such as owl calls and crow calls. Just curious how effective they really are and what should i get? Thanks.

guesswho

I rarely use them.  Usually the natural crows and owls do a pretty good job in the mornings around here.  If I do use one it would be an owl early and a crow or hawk later in the morning. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

pseshooter300

Ya I use a owl to try to get one to gobble early in the AM if I don't here them gobbling crow later in the morning even use the wood pecker
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

Eric Gregg

I like to use a hoot owl early in the morning. Where I hunt there are a lot of owls that live around the area and I like to get them fired up.
They end up doing the work for me.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: guesswho on January 06, 2012, 08:45:54 PM
I rarely use them.  Usually the natural crows and owls do a pretty good job in the mornings around here.  If I do use one it would be an owl early and a crow or hawk later in the morning. 

X2.  I usually let the early morning progress at it's own pace.  I would say I very rarely use them at anytime, but they can be effective.  I think the key is not over doing it.

WildTigerTrout

The only locator call I use much is the crow call and then only sparingly. I listen to the REAL crows first to see if a gobbler will go off. If they don't go off on a real crow what good is it to use a call. One call I will NOT use is a coyote.  I will use a turkey call as a last resort.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Eric Gregg

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on January 06, 2012, 10:41:14 PM
The only locator call I use much is the crow call and then only sparingly. I listen to the REAL crows first to see if a gobbler will go off. If they don't go off on a real crow what good is it to use a call. One call I will NOT use is a coyote.  I will use a turkey call as a last resort.

Yeah, you gotta watch what type of call you use....may get a yote instead :fud:

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: TeocTom on January 06, 2012, 10:48:30 PM

IMO a coyote call scares them and shuts them up, at least here in my little part of Pennsylvania. I don't think the Old Gobbler wants to sound off with a coyote lurking about.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on January 06, 2012, 11:02:28 PM
Quote from: TeocTom on January 06, 2012, 10:48:30 PM

IMO a coyote call scares them and shuts them up, at least here in my little part of Pennsylvania. I don't think the Old Gobbler wants to sound off with a coyote lurking about.

Great point.  I won't use one.  Trying to get one to gobble in the evening...maybe.  Around here, we have way too many coyotes.  You might get a shock gobble on the roost in the morning, but it will do more harm than good in my opinion.  I think our overabundance of predators, such as coyotes has altered the gobbling activity the last few years.  It's survival mode. 

mossy835

Where I hunt the guide uses a crow call to locate turkeys and I have watched that work for him but so did his box call the next day. Still learning, good posts.

ghillie

Quote from: guesswho on January 06, 2012, 08:45:54 PM

X2

ctwny1

I use an owl call in the early AM and then around 9am a crow call. Here where I hunt we have a lot of geese and a lot of times as these Canada Geese are flying out to feed, you can't hear a gobber gobble unless he standing on your head.

chatterbox

Primos peacock call does a very good job to get them to shock gobble.
I was hunting  late season on heavily hunted public land last spring, and it was quite quiet. I gave one series on the peacock call, and one thundered off the roost.
I think there are too many variables to what will work and what won't work. In an area that has a high owl population, ol' tom might ignore them.
I can't run a crow call to save my bacon. Whenever I do it, it sounds like a joybuzzer on steroids!
I think that early in the breeding cycle, they will gobble to almost anything. Later on it gets tougher.
Like some sigs say on here,"Adapt and Kill."

Ol'Mossy

I don't use locator calls I just stand along a road somewhere and listen for about 20 minutes

Neill_Prater

This kind of goes along with the post Guesswho made about roosting birds. There was a time, when I started turkey hunting here in the 70's, that it was easy to get a gobble using a gobble call, even after flydown ( I know, but there weren't many hunters, and it was private land). Now, that is basically a waste of time.

Then, for many years, I located, and subsequently killed, probably a couple of dozen birds at least, using an old no-name crow call I have that is quite loud. I rarely used it early, but if I didn't hear a bird on the roost I often would after hearing some real crows sound off, or, more importantly, later in the morning.

Now, now being the past few years, I rarely use the same call anymore strictly as a locator, because I just got tired of blowing the damned thing and not hearing anything, especially when I'm hunting in the South. I don't know if others have noticed this or not, but in my experience, birds just don't seem to shock gobble nearly as easily as they did 3 decades ago. I have no clue as to why not, but I honestly don't believe they do. In some ways, it is a plus, because we all know a bird that shock gobbles isn't necessarily receptive to calling in, so if you do hear a gobbler sound off on his own, it is probably more likely you will be able to seal the deal. Neill