Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Ammo Question specific to NEF Pardner Model SB2 10 Ga. Turkey gun

Started by Johnny Dingo in SC, January 06, 2012, 04:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Dingo in SC

I'm a new hunter (at age 54) and I started hunting last turkey season. I recently acquired a New England Firearms Model SB2 10 Ga. chambered for 3-1/2" shells. I know how you are SUPPOSED to pattern, using several different shells to find out what my gun patterns best, but frankly, it seems that it would get expensive buying shells you will not ultimately use.

Here's my question. If anyone has experience with this particular shotgun, can you recommend shells for this gun? It does have a choke installed, but I don't know what the choke is. There are no markings on it that I can find. I believe it to be a factory installed choke.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am learning as I go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gamblinman

Johnny,
            I don't personally shoot that weapon, but I'm sure that there are those here that do and can give you some excellent information. While you're waiting, feel free to search the forum... maybe that can help answer your questions.

Good luck

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

nflorek

I shoot nitro's h210 2.5oz of 7's with an IC .690 choke and get great patterns

eight bore

The factory extended non ported turkey choke is 720 in all the guns i've checked.
It does better with larger lead shot sizes.  fed. heavy weight 7's with the fcw will work good in that
setup.  The new mag blend would be worth a try also.
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

ken613

Agree with eight bore.  Mine likes the Federal 7's with the Flight Control Wad.  I'm shooting it through .690 Trulock choke
Ken

Johnny Dingo in SC

So far, it sounds like Federal Heavy weight 7's is the favorite. I don't know what the Flight control wad is or does, but I'll try to look it up. I'm learning as I go. Thanks gentlemen!

ken613

The thing to remember when shooting the Flight Control wads is that Federal says not to shoot them in a ported choke.   I'm not sure if the ports have an affect on the patterns (which, btw, are beautiful with the Flight Control loads) or if there is a possibility of the wad becoming lodged in the barrel.  Also, you can usually get a better pattern with these loads with a slightly more open choke.
All of this, of course, are my own personal observations. YMMV
Ken

MAGGUNS

Johnny Dingo in SC

I'm going to try the Federal Premium FCW #5 with 2 oz. load. I already have them on order and on the way.

eight bore

Five shot would be more than enough for body shots, seven shot would be ideal for head shots.
Since you are just beginning the five shot sounds good.
    I would pay attention to point of impact, these guns tend to hit low to point of aim. Get a big enough target to map your pattern.
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: eight bore on January 15, 2012, 11:36:40 AM
Five shot would be more than enough for body shots, seven shot would be ideal for head shots.
Since you are just beginning the five shot sounds good.
    I would pay attention to point of impact, these guns tend to hit low to point of aim. Get a big enough target to map your pattern.
Just some friendly advice. NEVER try to kill a Gobbler with a body shot. The feathers soak up the shot. Head shots only are the norm.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

eight bore

I agree with head shots only and originally recommended  7 fed hwy.
#5 fed heavy doesn't  pattern tight enough in that setup to be a good choice
for headshots. I assumed that heavyweight 5's were recommended off the board
for a beginner to make a kill ? I can't claim any experience with this ammo in 5 shot
but have seen 6 & 7 heavy shot shatter feathers , wings, neck bones ect. with authority.
And this particular shot is ballistically superior to heavy shot

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Johnny Dingo in SC on January 14, 2012, 03:24:53 PM
I'm going to try the Federal Premium FCW #5 with 2 oz. load. I already have them on order and on the way.
Good choice. Nothing wrong with #5 lead shot. Will kill the biggest Gobbler that ever walked. Just make sure and take the time to pattern your shotgun and adjust the point of aim. Good luck.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Johnny Dingo in SC

I finally got the opportunity to pattern it last Saturday after my IDPA match. I put up plain white poster paper and put a 1" black dot in the middle of each. I fired at 20 yds and at 30 yds. Both shots patterned well. Put plenty of shot on head/neck area. On the 20 yd shot, my FCW actually hit the paper about 3" from the "Head." The recoil was more than expected but manageable. It did bruise my shoulder and leave red marks and I was holding on tight. It's quite a gun.

I actually think i could probably make 40 yard shots (or more) with the pattern I got at 30.