only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas Rios??? Late May?

Started by agturkey, January 03, 2012, 09:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

You can pm me...

Need good rec for kansas rios.

Anyone hunted last week of season KS?  What to expect that time of year?

stinkpickle

I went the last weekend in May two years ago.  Temps were in the 90's, the toms were glued to hens all day long, and they wouldn't gobble.  I glassed no fewer than 50 longbeards (on neighboring properties, of course) throughout that trip...and never heard a single gobble.  Next time, I'll go earlier.

El Pavo Grande

From my experiences it is hit or miss in KS late May.  It can be good, but some years it's 90 to 95 degrees and on our trips that has equated to very little action.

Wingbone

From my experience in KS, glassing is key to success. It will save you alot of time anyway. Later in the season, the grass is getting tall, so glassing isn't near as easy. The higher temps also hush the gobblers.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Grant Flaming

I have only been turkey hunting for about four years now but I live in central Kansas so I figured I would chime in. I live in a very farming based community and virtually everything is fields with an occasional pasture. The turkeys are ALWAYS along a creek. It gives them plenty of cover, food, and roosting possibilities. Also, gobblers are pretty much always henned up. You can find lonely gobblers in midmorning, but you should always count on dealing with hens. A good set up that puts you right on the birds is important.

Like I said, I am no expert by any means but this is what I have observed.

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

jblackburn

I have EXCELLENT luck in northern KS in late May, even the last weekend and last day.  My biggest advice is to get as close as possible (within 150 yards) to them.  I grew up hunting Easterns in MO and I have called up toms from several hundred yards away, but those Rios just won't do that for me.

Last year a group of us went out there around May 15 - 20 and had birds all over us.  We could see them from a high spot and they gobbled their fool heads off but they were not going to come in.  We used the terrain and few trees to get within 100 yards of the flock.  A few calls later and some where between 20 and 30 turkeys were on top of us.  Gobblers, jakes and hens, just everywhere.  Two of my buddies were able to each take a beautiful Rio that seperated themselves from the flock.

In short, there are a lot of turkeys that can be killed in mid to late May in Kansas.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

handcannon

Sounds like a hit or miss........about like every other turkey hunting trip. I'd love to go myself up there.

Longspur321

Don't know how far North you're talking about, but I hunt private land in South Central Nebraska(few miles from the KS/NE state line) and 2nd/3rd week of May have been VERY productive for me the last couple years.
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

jblackburn

I hunt about 5 miles from the Nebraska border.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.