turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mixing up decoys

Started by Crappiepro, January 01, 2012, 01:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

Hey guys, Whats your thoughts on mixing up different makers or brands of decoys? Do you like them all the same color or do you think it does or doesn't give you advantage in fooling a tom. I was gonna buy some decoys that are grey compared to the black/grey decoys I have now. Whats your thoughts on the mixing of the colors of decoys?  Crappiepro

jakesdad

The few times ive used decoys I have had different brands/styles/colors mixed and the birds didnt seem to care.I think it bothers people WAY more than it bothers turkeys

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Gobble!

Quote from: jakesdad on January 01, 2012, 04:42:03 PM
The few times ive used decoys I have had different brands/styles/colors mixed and the birds didnt seem to care.I think it bothers people WAY more than it bothers turkeys

I agree. When it comes to decoys I have not seen a decoy that didn't work. Truth is the long beards came in just as fast to b-mobile as the do to my dsd strutter.

Crappiepro

I was just wondering how this may effect the flocks of birds I hunt, I have 4 properties I hunt that I know have the same flocks. I was thinkin ahead to maybe toss things up a bit in the later part of the season givin me a little advantage. I was thinkin that sometimes a few more is better than say just 2 dec's but really didnt know if acouple different looking decoy's would be a bad thing.

jakesdad

"different"may actually work to your advantage.a strange new intruder(jake/tom deke) onto a toms territory may be all it takes to bring him runnin.cant hurt anything

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

pseshooter300

Both mine jake and a hen same brand
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

Kylongspur88

IMO they dont care. I have them come to my mismatched decoys. I have noticed that if one decoy is still while another sways in the breeze birds go straight to the one moving.

RS

I've seen my Dad mix makes and types (silhouette, inflatable, and foam) and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

gunnerj

Brands aren't a big concern. If the tom(s) is gonna decoy, it doesn't matter on who made the decoy. All brands of decoys all have worked in the past or the likelyhood that they'd be on the shelf would be unlikely. I've used feather flex, buckwing, Primos, flocked and it doesn't seem to matter. When I use them is the big question because the toms don't always seem to be in the mood for the deke(s).  :anim_25:

Crappiepro

No guys, my concern wasn't about the brand but the different colors made by other brands and the mixing of those different colors. Thanks for the info so far though.   Crappiepro

Kylongspur88

It doesn't matter. both my hen decoys are completely differant shades. One has a very lifelike looking head, while the others head is touched up with about 3 differant shades of blue marker. One is more grey, while the other a darker brown. I use them both together and birds don't care. Gobblers come into ugly Betty just the same as the newer lighter colored decoy.

gobble157

It shouldn't matter :) I don't carry decoys anymore unless I'm hunting with a child.
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

Gobble!

Quote from: Crappiepro on January 02, 2012, 07:44:47 PM
No guys, my concern wasn't about the brand but the different colors made by other brands and the mixing of those different colors. Thanks for the info so far though.   Crappiepro

No issue. A turkey decoy is a turkey decoy

Duke0002

Variations in the birds themselves -size, feathering, demeanor. 

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!