only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Patterns 2/6/11 - WOULD YOU WORRY ABOUT USING THIS OUT TO 40 YDS

Started by sugarray, February 06, 2011, 08:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

Quote from:  link=topic=151.msg3654#msg3654 date=1297192097
I'd have two concerns.

1.5 oz is a pretty heavy load for a small kid to shoot.  Also, why not just load him up a cusom TSS load?  You can slow it down and lighten it up and still end up with a better turkey killing pattern to boot.  That's the beauty of rolling your own....

I know Hal this is the first thing I thought of when evaluating these patterns, but I have been getting a lot of grief from the wife about my TSS habit.  I would get another press and components and right now she just ain't letting that happen.  This was the best way I could get through this first season, then move on to the TSS hopefully next year.  I have quite a bit of #9 that is waiting.  I have been resisting the temptation to load up some 9x8 loads, just to save them for the 20 gauge.  I do not like roll crimping, didn't do well with the .410 loads.  I am getting a knoxx stock to put on as well, so when he shoots at a turkey, I don't think he will mind much.

roundball

Just a thought...you might also want to check on the other part of the formula.
As you know, the lead 7s are lighter than lead 6s (which are lighter than 5s, etc, etc).

Now that you know the 7s 'pattern' well at 40yds...might be worthwhile to make sure you know if they'll break a neck or skull at that distance.
A few sturdy tuna or soup cans (not flimsy pepsi cans of course) set up at 25/30/35/40 yards for penetation tests will tell you quickly the max yardage those lead 7's will penetrate.

sugarray

I am shooting the 1.5 oz of Federal heavyweight (15g/cc) #7.  This is not lead (10.6 g/cc)  much more dense and packs a lot more energy and it will break bones well past 50 yds.

roundball

Quote from: sugarray on February 09, 2011, 02:42:47 PM
I am shooting the 1.5 oz of Federal heavyweight (15g/cc) #7.  This is not lead (10.6 g/cc)  much more dense and packs a lot more energy and it will break bones well past 50 yds.
Didn't know that...reason I mentioned it was because I had to use nickel plated lead 7s just this past spring as my normal turkey gun was out of commission...used them in an IC choked barrel to fill in the pattern better...learned that 25 yards was my safe max and couldn't imagine them penetrating at 40 yards (took my shot at 22 yards).

mossybird