News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Patterns 2/6/11 - WOULD YOU WORRY ABOUT USING THIS OUT TO 40 YDS

Started by sugarray, February 06, 2011, 08:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

UPDATED:
Would you worry at all about letting your child shoot turkeys with this set up?

So I just couldn't wait.  Shooting Rem 870 express 20.  22" barrel with RSF .570 shoke.  Fed HW 1.5 oz of #7.  All at 40 yds

Second shot was through the dirtiest barrel. Temps were 30 degrees as well.  I think with a little dirty barrel and warmer temps, I'll be fine.  This is my son's gun, I have no plans having him shooting past 40 yds.  I would have liked to have had about 110, but I am happy with the last 2.  Plenty of room for error in closer.  What do you think?

Shot #1  57

Shot #2  101

Shot #3  89

GOLD HUNTER

looking good Ray......#2 nice !!!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Brian

TrkyHntr

I think that should be fine for your son. That second target is about how that choke shot through my gun.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

sugarray

Quote from: TrkyHntr on February 06, 2011, 09:30:09 PM
I think that should be fine for your son. That second target is about how that choke shot through my gun.
Shane

I want it open, I think the 30 degree temps and getting the barrel as clean as I could before the first shot (after shooting a target load at 10 yds to check if close to being on) and after the second may have brought it down a little.  But I'm good with this and confident if his aim is on he will kill one.

Kylongspur88

#2 looks good especially for a cold day.

old frank

Thanks, That is the exact combo I am going to try when I get to the range.

What effect does clean/dirty barrel have on the pattern? I haven't heard that before.

knightrider

hillbilly

Good looking pattern there, good luck to you both.
The only man to ever get all of his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

sugarray

Quote from: old frank on February 07, 2011, 12:08:01 AM
Thanks, That is the exact combo I am going to try when I get to the range.

What effect does clean/dirty barrel have on the pattern? I haven't heard that before.

It all really depends on your gun.  My MB 835 really likes a clean barrel for best pattern numbers.  From memory, seems the Remys like a little dirty barrel, i.e. after 2-3 shots getting the best numbers.  This may be wrong, and hopefully others with Rem experience will chime in.

archdriver

I am  surprised by the  difference  between  1st  and  2nd  shot.  
57  vs  101 .....   doesnt  make  sense if  it  is  only  related  to dirty  barrel.

ArchDriver

bowhunter32

great  shootin... :you_rock:   that is exactly what setup mywifes gun is..going to do a deep clean and polish and c if we can get in the 180's :z-guntootsmiley:..heard its possible with this gun/load/choke combo..also i was under the impression the fed hw likes a squeaky clean barrel..those flight control wads can b finniky  just what i heard :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

pullit

the 101 looks great.
Do you have any idea as to why the first shot was only 57 hits?

sugarray

Quote from: pullit on February 07, 2011, 03:27:41 PM
the 101 looks great.
Do you have any idea as to why the first shot was only 57 hits?

I have no idea.  I had shot once at 10 yds to check POI/POA.  I had polished the barrel and don't have a bore snake in 20 gauge.  I tried to brush out with just the rod and brush.  Other than that I don't know. 

surehuntsalot

any of them will work just fine
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

sugarray