OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Holo and Red Dot Sights - Turning On

Started by maustypsu, February 18, 2011, 12:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maustypsu

So I'm going to break down and get one - most likely.  My biggest concern is they always seemed like one more thing to go wrong.  I am planning to buy a Burris FF2.  I know it gets good recommends and others have other Holos or Red Dots or scopes that they would recommend.  I've read all those posts and plan to give the FF2 a try.

What I really want to know is how do you turn it on?  How often do you swap batteries (read they last up to 5 years)?  Anyone ever get busted turning one on?  Fog, moisture, other things that can go wrong?

hookedspur

I would carry a spare batt. in case it gets turned on by accident.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Skeeterbait

Get in a habit of replacing the battery every year before the season with a fresh one and you won't have to worry about it.  Turns on via a switch.  Switch it on when you leave the truck and switch it off when you get back to the truck, that simple.  Buy fresh name brand batteries from stores that turn their stock over often.  Keep a spare in your vest but you likely wont have to ever use it.  The batteries are CR2032 lithium.  Cost a few bucks but easy to find.  Yes electronics can fail but you can pop a fiber optic off and loose it in the woods too.  Yes they could collect moisture on the lens, but unless you breath directly on it it is no more likely to fog than any other sighting optic.

Here are details >  http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/FastFire%20Product%20Guide.pdf

keyser12ga

I replace my battery at the beginning of the season and carry a spare.  I leave it on from the time I get to the woods until I go home. 

turkey_slayer

I dont turn my FF on till I setup on a bird.  I bet it was only on 5 hours all season so I'm not replacing mine this year.  The FF battery requires you to remove the sight to change it so if it went dead in the field I would just come home and change it then check my POI/POA.

maustypsu

Thanks for the responses.  I didn't realize the batteries would last that long.

pullit

I am due to change mine this year. I don't turn mine on until I am set up and turn it off when walking out.
If I have time to get to a tree and get set up, I have time to turn it on.
The way I use mine, it is never on very long, but I think I read somewhere that they have a sleep mode, in case you leave it on. I could be wrong about this and as I stated, I would not have ever found out in use.
Maybe someone else knows.

mossy835

With the Mueller the battery is not an issue it is on top sealed and water proof. Not sure yet on the lens but I will know shortly. Battery life is good and mine came with a spare that I will carry along with an allan wrench to remove it in an emergency so I can sight with the front bead. Mine has a wheel that you turn not only on/off but you can run automatic brightness or adjust brightness from 1 to 10, this really works well.