Early Season or Late Season

Started by Woodsman4God, December 26, 2011, 01:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When is it easier to get on a Gobbler

Early in the season
Late in the Season

Woodsman4God

Hi Guys,

I have heard different trains of thought when it comes to going after gobblers, Like wait until most of the hens are bred ( late season) and get a gobbler to come to you easier because hes cruising looking for that last female, or try to get one them when the season starts because they are more fired up etc...
What do you all think. My experience is limited and I am curious to what you all think

Deputy 14

Early here. The birds get educated quick and are usually always with hens after the first week. Makes the going get tough.

chatterbox

The earlier the better.
The longer the season drags on, the tougher it becomes.

guesswho

My experience tells me that both times are equally good, you just have to know how to hunt both.   If I had to choose one over the other I guess I'd take early season only because there are more gobblers at that time. 

But later in the season people that don't know how to hunt them lose inerest and don't go, so the gobbler to hunter ratio is still pretty good.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Woodsman4God

I voted early season, I have limited experience but what I do have is that the gobblers are more vocal where I hunt early and get tight lipped later in the season, again this is limited experience talking.

longspur

I chose late. It may depend ot the season in your area. Ga. is 3/24 - 5/15. I like to hunt mid to late April. That may be more like mid season according to date but pretty late according to breeding season.

mossy835

Both up here, early spring is productive for some and late fall is productive for me.

maustypsu

I voted early.

Mainly that is because I would have been scouting for 4 weeks in a row prior to opening day.  I can cover several roost areas while they are gobbling in the morning.  After that I'm hunting them so I typically don't cover as much ground during that golden time.  Plus they don't gobble as much on the ground as the season progresses here. 

So it's easier to find one and get set up early season.  If you are working a bird early vs late then I think you have the same chance to kill one.  But the question seemed more about finding one to set up on.

I think the most important thing for someone with limited experience is to know where the birds are in that cycle.  If it's late in the season and you know the birds are NOT sounding off but ARE cruising then it's easier to stay put in your hot spot.

Ol'Mossy

I hunt public land here in Pa..the first week gets pounded hard and they get educated real quick BUT I don't give up I hunt until it's over.  :newmascot:

Gamblinman

I voted late. I love to catch them toms with no hens.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Kylongspur88

I say late for two reasons. 1. The hens are on the nest and the toms are lonely, and 2. there is more cover and in the woods they will come right in on top of you looking for hens.

El Pavo Grande

I agree with guesswho's response.  Both early and late season can be equally good.  Like he stated, the key is adjusting your hunting approach and understanding what phase in the breeding cycle the turkeys are in.  Not suprisingly, I typically hear more turkeys gobbling early, but they are often more responsive later in the season.  I have probably killed more gobblers mid to late season than at the very beginning.  It also depends on where you are hunting and if the season opens during a gobbling peak or after.  So, for me it's a toss up!!!

savduck

Here in GA its both. Our season is so long, you usually get em the first two weeks, have to work for them for a couple weeks, and then they finish strong the last three weeks.
Georgia Boy

Basser69

I have always done better the first part of the season but like Guesswho said, if you can adjust....You can kill them all season long

WildTigerTrout

I hunt mostly public land in Pa. You can kill a gobbler any day of the season but it is usually better early. But as they say "The only absolute in Turkey hunting is their are NO absolutes"
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!