OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

best base to use to mount mueller quick fire to 12ga 1187?

Started by TREEDOG, December 24, 2011, 06:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TREEDOG

Called Remington and they said the receiver was to thin to tap and drill and I don't want to use a b base because it may scratch it all up.  

Will b base scratch up the receiver? Can it be drill and tap and what base do I need for  for Mueller quick sight?

Thanks.

gob09

if rem. says it's to thin ...i'd listen they may be just covering there but i would hate to mess up a good gun..
i have no idea what will mount that sight on an 11-87. i tryed to mount a simmons red dot on my brother s 11-87 and never found a base that would work.
you might get some sight  base stock and have one made  with some drilling and milling involved.
thats what it came to with my brothers gun good luck if you find one let us know

chatterbox

If the 1187 is too thin to dril and tap, I believe your only option would be the b-square mount.
I have heard good things about them. I never had to use one, but if Remington says it's too thin, I really wouldn't know what other options there would be to be able to mount optics.

old frank

The Weaver Converta mount would work also and would bring the sight right down on the receiver.

Weaver # 48870

I have heard of 1187's being drilled before, some gunsmiths will and some won't.

Dbrnmllr

Had the same issue this spring setting up a turkey gun for my dad. I called a local gunsmith and he said "no way, too thin".  Talked to a machinist at work who has done a lot of gunsmithing in the past (honestly trust him more than the gunsmith). He checked material thickness on the receiver and said no way too.  I use a weaver saddle mount.  It is made of composite material so it doesn't seem to scratch the receiver and lines up real nice so far.  Hope this helps.

sharxfan

Cool just the answer I was looking for as well. I have a  lot of shopping to do at Cabelas on Wed.

Crappiepro

I bought a UTG Tactical saddle mount for my Rem 870. I found it on E-bay for $35. This thing is rock solid and has a nice fit and finish. I added a picture but it may be to far away.

jerseyjimk

They look great,if you take them off and put them back on.Does it hold zero

sharxfan

I got the same mount from Cheaper than Dirt. I don't always trust return to zero on removal and reinstall I would recheck it no matter what just because you don't want to be surprised when you take the shot. I do the same thing with my deer rifle I check it at least once during the season to make sure nothing has moved.

BigHooks

First of all I don't know anything about your 1187. But I do know that two of my hunting buddy's bought 1187s last year an they both came drilled an tap. If remy sold them that way I don't understand why they told you not to.. They both turkey hunted with them last year, both of them are 1187s 21 or 23 inch barrel both have sites an mounts.

remmy1187

I used a b-square mount on my 11-87 and didnt like it.  Seemed like to get the screws tight enough  it would "squeeze" the receiver and bind it.  Had it drilled and tapped about 4 years ago with no issues to date.  Using a weaver base.