OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Not finding any birds

Started by sodfather, February 17, 2011, 08:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Quote from: sodfather on February 18, 2011, 10:40:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I have a stupid question. The last couple of times I was walking through the woods I have had crows kawing and thought how come I have never heard a turkey gobble after a crow sounds off. Is this something that will happen as the season gets closer or is this just something that a gobble wont always follow. Why would I use a crow locator's call if the real crows don't get an answer.
They do not Gobble to Crows in Iowa, period. I've NEVER heard a Gobble to a Crow, and the dang things caw all day to the point it's irritating.

sodfather

Ya you know i bought a crow call thinking it could work after daylight but come to think about it I never heard one after a real crow. Oh well trial and error.

Duke0002

I rarely use any call to shock gobble, but when I do it's a crow call.  I crow call just enough to get the real crows going and then let them take over.  Gobs will respond in the spring to crows where I hunt.  In the spring when they're hot, Gobs are wired to responding to just about anything. 

There's something about the relationship between crows and turkey that I'd like to understand better.   Maybe there's a love/hate relationship.  Crows will harass turkey -like they do an owl.  But perhaps crows wait for turkey to identify and kick up insects, seeds, etc.

I'll start another thread on the relationship between crow and turkey.

redleg06

I hunt mostly Rio's and from what Ive see over the years, the winter range can be quite a bit different than the spring range. 

Some places I have annual rights to, you wont see a turkey in the winter but when the spring rolls around, they have spread out and frequent the areas. 

sodfather

Great thanks Duke 0002 I would like to more about the crow-turkey relationship. I don't think I'm going to be scouting anytime this week. Today is snow with wind up to 40mph. All week snow flurries.

northms

I haven't seen a whole lot of birds or a ton of sign but I know they will be on our land in a couple of weeks.  They are always there every season.  Once the clover starts greening up on the ridges they will be back for sure.  It can be nerve wracking not seeing them before the season but if they've always been there, I'm sure they will be back.

sodfather

Ya me to I have not been in the woods for about a week or two but cant wait for warmer temps so I can look for some signs.