turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Not finding any birds

Started by sodfather, February 17, 2011, 08:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodfather

Hey all I have walked a couple sets of woods I normally hunt and while I know its early I'm not locating any birds. I am going to all over and have walked about 4 miles so far scouting looking for signs or potential spots and have found nothing. It is cold and snow is on the ground and I only have been out  in the afternoons. Should I be concerned and maybee find somewhere else. I know there have been birds in these areas in the past. Thanks for the replies.

Jay

If you've got snow on the ground, and it's still cold, I wouldn't be too concerned, yet. They seem to have Winter grounds, and Summer grounds. Winter is usually where they have the best chance to find food in not ideal conditions. Once it warms up, and the ground thaws out, they'll move back to their regular haunts. As I posted in a thread, put your home state under your avatar, because it makes it easier to answer some questions like this.

sodfather

Great thanks I'm from N.Y bye the way.

Jay

Talking about moving is the Canadian birds. When the Winters hit, they head to ranches, where they feed on the undigested food in cattle dung.  ;D No, it doesn't seem to affect the taste of the meat any.

sodfather

Yummy. I know there used to be birds there but no signs. I might stay out of the woods till late march till I start again.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Jay

Quote from: guesswho on February 17, 2011, 09:51:23 PM
They ain't far.
I keep telling myself that, but dang if I can find a group that I see in the Winter, and once thaw hits, poof they are gone. It's not like there is a whole lot of options for all these birds to go. I poured over aerials trying to figure it out, and found a spot I'm going to check out in a couple of weeks.

socalturkeyman

Hey Jay what about california,I have really seen any birds in the areas I've hunted before. Like I said even on the private land. Its been really warm except for yesterday when it rain all day.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

hookedspur

Waiting is hard but when conditions get right the turkeys will be there.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sodfather

I hope they show but that kinda defeats pre season scouting.

Jay

Quote from: sodfather on February 18, 2011, 04:54:46 PM
I hope they show but that kinda defeats pre season scouting.
True, but with the warm weather, it won't take them long to move. In Iowa we don't have hardly any snow left. In one week it was gone. I'll probably check out the area was I was talking about Sunday. If they aren't on your land pretty soon, I'd be a little concerned and looking for other options. The spot I'm looking at Sunday isn't an option right now, but that could quickly change if I hear some Turkey talk at daybreak.

timbrhuntr

A couple of the farms I hunt I don't see any sign of turkeys until well into March. On the other hand one of the farms I hunt they hang around all year and flock up there. The past few weeks when it was really cold and lots of snow they weren't moving to much. I found them one day at 1100 a.m.they were all sitting on low fallen trees up out of the snow near where they roost. I don't think they moved much at all for several days. Where I'm at in Ontario it seems like there isn't much point in scouting really seriously until into March when they spread out.

Jay

Crap, just saw the weather forecast for Sunday. Only thing they left off was a Monsoon.  ::)

Duke0002

Was out this afternoon for a hike and checked some of my hunting season spots.  As usual at this time of year, no sign of birds.  But each spring they'll be there to torture me.

Like timbrhuntr wrote, the don't move much this time of year.  When they do move, it looks like they're walking/feeding in slow motion.   They stay near food and shelter.

sodfather

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have a stupid question. The last couple of times I was walking through the woods I have had crows kawing and thought how come I have never heard a turkey gobble after a crow sounds off. Is this something that will happen as the season gets closer or is this just something that a gobble wont always follow. Why would I use a crow locator's call if the real crows don't get an answer.