Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

(newbie help)Budget turkey choke an lead load combo

Started by ohiomossyoak, December 21, 2011, 01:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiomossyoak

Thanks for the input...I had a issue with a tru glo archery product in the past..And they took very good care of me..The bushnell only has a 2yr warranty VS the tru glo gobble stopper lifetime..That is why I am leaning that way..And price..If i had the cash I would go with a Vortex Red dot..Im a big fan of there stuff an there warranty an optics are great IMO..
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

ohiomossyoak

"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)

chatterbox

I would go with a PG .670, a bushnell trophy red dot, and Winchester XX Magnum in 3.5 #6.
That will probably be your best bet with lead. Your biggest investment will be the PG. If you don't want to spend the money on the PG, go with a JH .690.
I don't believe you will do any better. If the XX magnums don't work, I would just go with Winchester Supreme HV.
Unless you are going to go HTL, there are not many other options.

ohiomossyoak

No way a Bushnell is in budget..The rest sounds fine...

TLT

I have a Carlson Ported .675 that will work well with many of the previously mentioned shells. I traded my 835 but still have the choke. Would like to sell the choke asking $25 plus shipping.
TLT

ohiomossyoak

Thanks! I will keep that in mind..Im still in the decision making stage at this point

DKA

Not sure about the choke for an 835, but Federal # 5's have been good to me.

chipper

There's a couple of .670 Kicks GT's on Ebay and some Hastings .675's also team either one up with some Winchester HV 3.5" 2+z. #6's and you should have a workable pattern.

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: chipper on February 01, 2012, 08:28:28 PM
There's a couple of .670 Kicks GT's on Ebay and some Hastings .675's also team either one up with some Winchester HV 3.5" 2+z. #6's and you should have a workable pattern.

Thanks!!>.Im going to check them out now

Longshanks

Quote from: ohiomossyoak on December 28, 2011, 06:06:52 PM
Winchester® 12 Gauge 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz. Supreme Double X® Magnum Copper Plated Turkey Loads???Am I on track?

Yup, that is bad medicine for the turkeys..buy a box of those..pattern at 40yds..draw a 10 in circle around the center of your pattern provided your POA/POI is on. 100+ in a 10 in circle at 40yds and your ready to go turkey hunting. Read up on the other categories on this website about..blinds, decoy,calling, camo (head to toe), setup, and safety.  :anim_25:

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: Longshanks on February 06, 2012, 10:24:44 AM
Quote from: ohiomossyoak on December 28, 2011, 06:06:52 PM
Winchester® 12 Gauge 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz. Supreme Double X® Magnum Copper Plated Turkey Loads???Am I on track?

Yup, that is bad medicine for the turkeys..buy a box of those..pattern at 40yds..draw a 10 in circle around the center of your pattern provided your POA/POI is on. 100+ in a 10 in circle at 40yds and your ready to go turkey hunting. Read up on the other categories on this website about..blinds, decoy,calling, camo (head to toe), setup, and safety.  :anim_25:

Thats a ton for the advice ;D ;D

Newram05

I just picked up a star dot and goin to pattern soon so I will have a Kicks GT if all goes well with the Star dot!

JHENS87

I shot winchester supreme 3.5's i think #5 shot out of a 835 with jellyhead when i had the gun. Turkeys didnt complain to bad. but I never really patterned it much to know the difference between shells