turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The main course - Devotion 12/21/11

Started by lightsoutcalls, December 21, 2011, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Well, many of us are meeting ouselves coming and going in this last week before Christmas.  Traffic in town is crazy with people trying to pick up last minute gifts, getting their groceries for family get togethers, going to Christmas parties...  AAAGGGHHHHH!  It's all too easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle that surrounds Christmas.  Bright lights, tinsel and packages have become all the focus of an event that to most went unnoticed in that little town of Bethlehem.

Indulge me to use some verses that have nothing to do with Christmas, but everything to do with our focus...

Luke 10:38-42

The Message (MSG)

Mary and Martha
38-40As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village. A woman by the name of Martha welcomed him and made him feel quite at home. She had a sister, Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word he said. But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. "Master, don't you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand."
41-42The Master said, "Martha, dear Martha, you're fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it's the main course, and won't be taken from her."

Martha wanted everything to be just right when it came to preparing for Jesus.  She wanted to make sure the food was cooked to perfection, the table prepared to the standards of royalty and the kitchen to be spotlessly clean.  She got so busy in the preparation that her focus was on herself...  everything she did, all the food she prepared was to be a reflection on her.  She could not stand that her sister was sitting in the other room "doing nothing" while she slaved away in the kitchen.  Martha just didn't get it.  The Lord and Savior of all the earth was sitting in the next room speaking, imparting words of wisdom and of life... all the while Martha was what?  BUSY!  She was consumed with creating something that would reflect well on herself.  She wanted to impress.  She likely told herself that she wanted everything to be perfect for Jesus.  Her interruption of His teaching of those who would listen to Him proved that her priorities were misdirected. 

I pray that as the celebration of Christmas draws nearer, we would each take the time to focus on the events that unfolded on that first Christmas Eve.  I pray that God would open our understanding as to the gift, the sacrifice He gave in the form of a baby.  I pray that we would examine the details surrounding the conception, the customs of the day, the lowliness of the surroundings and setting of the beginning of new life and hope for our daily lives. 

May God bless each one of you this Christmas and in the coming year.

Merry Christmas,
Wendell
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

turkey slayer

BOFF

Wendell,

Sometimes I think my middle name is "Martha".

Thanks for the accountability.

God Bless and Merry Christmas,

David B.