turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snake Boot

Started by TurkeyScratch, December 19, 2011, 08:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyScratch

I know this topic as been on here several times but I'm going to purchase a pair of snake boots soon. I figured I need to get them broke in before turkey season. Understanding they are supposed to be "snake proof," but my biggest concern is comfort and not necessarily waterproof, though most say they are . Reviews I have read, state that many lose their waterproofing after a short period of time. So, the ones that wear snake boots, what do you recommend on a light, comfortable boot? Also, should I go a half size bigger?
Thanks

Eric Gregg

They make em now where the sides are zippered, which makes it a lot easier to get on and off. Mine are hard to get on and off. I am going to probably make that a request next year.
Look at Lacrosse's line for the side zippered boots.

JELLYHEAD

I'm recomending Danner Pronghorns. They are light weight, and feel like sneakers. They have great traction on hills and stuff. As far as all the ones I've tried on they have the most protection @ 18" tall. After 4 yrs. of heavy use, turkey hunting & bowseason( sense I live in Alabama) they have started seeping water. That's no big deal if your quick on water crossings   ;D  although for 3 years waded & stood in creeks with no moisture. I'm buying the same this year to replace them. I want to buy a few pair 'cause I'm afraid they will quit making them & I love'em. Oh yea ,they feel like they broke in already. These also have speed laces, super nice! Goodluck

handcannon

I bought my first pair before this past turkey season. I got myself and my son each a pair of Rocky ProLight 16" boots. They do not have a liner inside like some of the other Rocky boots. Very comfortable right out of the box. I did not have to worry about breaking them in. Felt like I've been wearing them for a year already. I wore them a lot during the summer time as well when going into the woods and they got a little warm around the calves but it wasn't unbearable. I went through some pretty deep water with them with no problem. I didnt just stand there and wait for it to soak in but my feet did stay dry. The sole on them are another thing I like. Good grip but wont ball up with a bunch of mud and clay when walking down a muddy road. I recommend them but I havent tried any other snake boots to compare to.

http://www.basspro.com/ROCKY-16-ProLight-Mossy-Oak-BreakUp-Waterproof-Snake-Boots-for-Men/product/10214718/138527

CASH

My favorite is the Rocky Side Zip Rattler.  It's a lace up boot with a zipper on the side, and a Gore Tex liner.  Wears like a tennis shoe.  My pair is going into it's 5th season and have been wonderful.

http://www.basspro.com/Rocky-15-Rattler-Zip-Snake-GORETEX-Boots-for-Men/product/90212/84011
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

drenalinld

I would buy any of them If they made a 15d. I've never heard someone disappointed in Danners.

Shellwaster

I'll second the Danner Proghorn. I found a great deal on them this past February and have been very pleased since. I do wish they offered a zipper option as my previous boot had that and it was breeze getting them on and off.  With the Danners I have to loosen the laces all the way down to the top of the shoe before attempting to get off, otherwise I'll get a cramp in my calf that won't go away for hours.
I wore the Danners all turkey season here in GA as well as bow season (deer) and will reiterate how comfortable and light weight they are. When these wear out I will be buying another pair as I don't think a better boot is made within a reasonable budget of under $150.00
The down side with any snake boot is they will be warm to hot on the calves when wearing in warm weather and/or walking quite a bit.

Good luck on your search.

Wingbone

Danner Pronghorns!

Had two pairs of Rocky zip-side. Bought the first pair and the zipper blew out. They sent me a knew pair for free, and the zipper quit working after the season. Zippers not recomended.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

BigGobbler

Stay away from rocky they are crap.If you do not mind wet feet and just want the snake protection on the cheap they are perfect.

fullcurl

Rocky are by far the worst!! try Lacrosse or Danner

neal

Danner!!! They are by far the best! They don't feel like your wearing a boot at all.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

TurkeyScratch

Thanks for the replies! After trying on several pairs, I decided on the Danner Pronghorn. They are a great comfortable boot and lighter than I imagined. Plus, she told me 25% off all boots! So, I jump on them quick. If anyone is located in the Northern Alabama area, Shoals Outdoor Sports (Muscle Shoals, AL) is having a sale on their boots and clothing for a couple more days I believe. Thanks again!

cahaba

I have a pair of Pronghorn Jackal GTX snake boots. They are like wearing tennis shoes. Very comfortable. They even made the soles like a moccasin in that they are flat. They are said to aid in being quiet in the woods. They are goretex lined and have a great built in arch support. Cant wait to put down some boot leather with them this spring.
  I had a pair of Rockies before. They leaked after the second time using them. They also didnt have good ankle support.

BOFF

Quote from: TurkeyScratch on December 21, 2011, 08:20:54 PM
Thanks for the replies! After trying on several pairs, I decided on the Danner Pronghorn. They are a great comfortable boot and lighter than I imagined. Plus, she told me 25% off all boots! So, I jump on them quick. If anyone is located in the Northern Alabama area, Shoals Outdoor Sports (Muscle Shoals, AL) is having a sale on their boots and clothing for a couple more days I believe. Thanks again!

What would the final price be with the 25% off. I was at Mark's Outdoor Sports today, and the Danner's were $234.00.

I bought them last year there for $145.00 I believe. They were well under priced at the time.

God Bless,
David B.

JELLYHEAD

Last year at turkey day the girl at marks told me the danner rep said they couldnt buy them for that price any more... they went up.