OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Magnum Blend or Hevi 7s

Started by mossybird, December 18, 2011, 01:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westtennhunter

Here is a pattern from my 870 with a 24" barrel and lengthened forcing cone. 3.5 inch Magblends, .660 JH, Lazered 40 yards.

Gobble!

westtennhunter
Are those 10" circles?
Is the best circle there 372 or where is that number coming from?
Seems extremely high for mag blends  :icon_thumright:

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's a big target.  Amd I do mean big.  My buddy used to have some of them targets.  But draw a 10" circle around the tightest part of that pattern.  It's a good one I can tell that by looking at it.  I'd like to know the numbers.    

westtennhunter

You are correct Ilikehevi, it's a big target. Every circle is 30". I'm guessing they use 30" so wingshooters can use the same targets. The numbers are the count of each section. I will do a 10" circle this weekend and report back. The target is so big that every pellet in the load should be accounted for.

cannonball

That's a nice looking pattern from the Mag Blends.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: westtennhunter on December 30, 2011, 08:36:02 PM
You are correct Ilikehevi, it's a big target. Every circle is 30". I'm guessing they use 30" so wingshooters can use the same targets. The numbers are the count of each section. I will do a 10" circle this weekend and report back. The target is so big that every pellet in the load should be accounted for.

Well it's better to shoot those big targets than one the size of piece of paper like some do and say these shells don't shoot.  You know what I mean.  LOL!

That's a very tight pattern form the magnum blend.  Can't wait to hear the numbers.  Do your best to get the most shot in the 10" before drawing your circle.  That is why I like my cutout glass 10" circles I have.  I can usually see exactly where I need to make my 10" circle by seeing through the glass.  

westtennhunter

That 10" cutout glass sounds like a great idea. Where did you get it?

West Augusta

I bought a 10" clear plastic plant tray at the Dollar Store that works great.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: westtennhunter on January 01, 2012, 08:22:20 AM
That 10" cutout glass sounds like a great idea. Where did you get it?

I got 2 10" glass circles cut out from a local glass company here called Edgewater Glass.  I think it cos me like $15.  But any local glass company near you ought to be able to do it.  Let me see if I can find a picture t oshow you.  I really like them. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

ILIKEHEVI-13

I think it's the one on the left that is thicker.  They made me 2 since they messed up on the plexiglass one that they tried cutting out with a jig saw.  It looked like a puzzle piece.  And I told them it needed to be a perfect 10" circle.  So they said would you take glass.  I said yep.  So they gave me 2.  This will allow you to get almost optimum 10" shot numbers. 

westtennhunter

Here is the pattern above with the 10" circle and 209 in the 10" circle.

westtennhunter

This is the same setup, same day with magblends and 210 in 10 inches.

westtennhunter

This is same setup, same day, but with Hevi straight 6's. 256 in a 10" circle.

westtennhunter

My scope was zeroed for Ext Range and it shot Hevi's high and right. I will zero it in my next session. I debated long and hard whether to shoot Magblends or 6's and decided I would sacrifice some pellet count for bigger pellets. Whether or not that is the correct decision is debatable. I hope the pics and data help someone.