OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Magnum Blend or Hevi 7s

Started by mossybird, December 18, 2011, 01:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossybird

Hey guys, ive used Hevi 7s for 2 turkey seasons and have never tried the Mag Blends. I know the 7s will give better pattern obviously, but i have a good supply of Mag Blends at my local Dicks Sporting Goods. Id be glad to sacrifice a few less pellets in the 10 for better availability. I shot a Mossberg 535 12 Guage, 660 IC Choke. If yall have some good patterns with a 660 in Mag Blends, post em up. What do yall think?  :thanks:

mossy835

I started with mag blend loads as the sevens were not available here. Took three birds with no issues they get the job done but I also took one with sevens too. I like the mag blends in my 835 they are consistant and devastating. Note all were the three inch shells and one was over 45 yards instant kill. Try a box and see. I do not keep patterns as I have too much stuff already. One of my hunting partners killed two back to back this year with me with his Benelli and again mag blend shells in three inch.
Good luck and have fun.

TrophyTracker

The Mag Blends will wreck a gobblers day out of every turkey gun that I have. I feel confident in them enough to use them even though I have many #7's in my cabinet that I could use at any time.

Give them a try and see what your gun likes best.
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

West Augusta

My 870 gets 265 in 10" at 40 with 3 1/2" MagBlends.
I bought 7 boxes.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Deputy 14

You should like the magblends if you can get a good lot #. I bought three different lots and two shot terrible but the third would flat smoke.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I got 190 in 10" at 40 Yards, with 3" Magnum Blend at 60 degrees, in an Indian Creek .665 and 870.  Very Even 12"-13" pattern.  No Escape.  Much better than any Lead shell at 90 degrees, much less 60 degrees.  The 7's will easily smoke Magnum Blend as far as numbers go, but locally Magnum Blend is easier to find.

davisd9

I got 176 in 10" at 40 yards in 50 degree weather with 3" Mag Blends.  Very happy with the pattern.  Very even.  I used Hevi 6s last year and was happy with the results.  Hunted with a friend and he shot a gobbler with the Mag Blends and it rocked the bird.  Decided to give them a try and liked what I got so I jumped to the Mag Blends.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

I think that with the Mag Blends you should use a more open choke to keep from blowing the pattern because of the 5s in it.  I do not have solid information to back this theory, but I use a Star Dot .676 in my 835 and my friend uses a Jelly Head .665 in his 870.  I could be wrong about a more open choke, but it just seems with the blend a tight constriction could hamper your results, but give them a try, it might prove this theory wrong.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

maustypsu

Quote from: davisd9 on December 20, 2011, 08:31:19 AM
I think that with the Mag Blends you should use a more open choke to keep from blowing the pattern because of the 5s in it.  I do not have solid information to back this theory, but I use a Star Dot .676 in my 835 and my friend uses a Jelly Head .665 in his 870.  I could be wrong about a more open choke, but it just seems with the blend a tight constriction could hamper your results, but give them a try, it might prove this theory wrong.

Purely from theory, I would think that since they aren't all 5's you would be OK. There should be "space" created by having the smaller shot mixed in. But just like you I'm going on theory. Just saying I wouldn't be afraid to try a tighter constriction based solely on the fact that they contain some 5's.

I personally never understood blends for the same reason I don't own a .40 cal. Make up your mind!!!  Haha. Good luck finding a deadly pattern whichever way you go!

WyoHunter

I have Mag Blends and 7's and have killed birds with both of them. Although patterns understandingly aren't as dense as with Mag Blends as the 7's they are just as deadly in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with either one for all practical purposes.  :icon_thumright:  :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

West Augusta

My gun patterns Mag Blends better that 6's or 7's.  I get 265 in 10" at 40 with a 3.5" out of a 24" barrel with a .665 Jellyhead on my 870.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Once you get an evenly spaced 150+ Hits in 10", it doesn't really matter what shell you're using.  They all work.  Especially if the pattern also looks good outside of the 10" circle.  13"+ of nice even coverage is golden, IMO.  EM, Nitro, WIN, Magnum Blend, 6's, 7's,.....it doesn't matter.

Search until you find the pattern you're looking for.  Then buy up some of those shells.

mossy835

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on December 21, 2011, 01:33:31 AM
Once you get an evenly spaced 150+ Hits in 10", it doesn't really matter what shell you're using.  They all work.  Especially if the pattern also looks good outside of the 10" circle.  13"+ of nice even coverage is golden, IMO.  EM, Nitro, WIN, Magnum Blend, 6's, 7's,.....it doesn't matter.

Search until you find the pattern you're looking for.  Then buy up some of those shells.
I agree with the above, the real cost is in finding your hunting load from there on it is how many turkeys you shoot as to how many shells you want to buy. Have fun in the process.

longbeardlife.com

have shot both for several years and love them both.  you will love them...

beagler

Can't go wrong with either. I've been using Nitros for some time but switched over to the Mag Blends last season with good success.
Never Misses