OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Optics for 870

Started by Kates, December 15, 2011, 04:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kates

I started using an 870, 20 gauge youth last year and love it.  I'm wanting to scope it and not sure if a B-squared mount is the way to go or not.  Would it be easier to have my receiver drilled and tapped?

chatterbox

Quote from: JohnDoe on December 15, 2011, 05:30:00 PM
Get it drilled and tapped. Have it done with the hole pattern that will accept the Marlin 336 base in case you want a FF2 at some point. I suggest a reflex site and not a scope as you need a sight not a scope for turkeys.

John
Excellent advice. :icon_thumright:

redarrow

Drill and tap. I use a Nikon 4x scope .Too many eye surgeries.

renegade19

Posted something similar in another thread but, I've had good luck with the Truglo with the integrated mount.  Some like it, some don't but it's worked well for me.

Kyfoster11

I ask a local gunsmith from my town about drilling and tapping a 870 20ga youth and he told me that the top of the gun was "to thin" to drill and tap......is he telling the truth ot just dodging my gun?  I wanted it done for my nephew and wife but Im not sure now from what he said. 
ky

FullChoke

Dodge City.

I had seen plenty of 870s drilled and tapped, so I just hauled off and did it myself and mounted a Mueller Quick-Shot sight. The 20 gauge doesn't generate very much recoil, even with turkey loads, so the stress on the screw threads (6-48) is not excessive. Apply a drop of the blue Loc-Tite to the threads and tighten them to "firm." If you have a torque screwdriver or wrench, that would be 15 inch lbs. Rule of thumb for the 6-48 screws is torque as tight as you can hold the tool with just your thumb and 2 fingers. Also insist that the screws be made of steel and not the cheap aluminum types.

Bottom line is that it can been done, has been done and will continue to be done.

Cheers  :anim_25:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

old frank

I hunted with the 870 Youth all last season and will again this year. I used the Aimtech Saddle mount with the Mueller Red Dot sight.

It worked well but seems like I don't have as tight of a cheek weld on the stock as I would like.

I am considering having my 870 drilled and a #62 weaver base installed. I plan to call my gunsmith right after the New Year.