OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Any tips for hunting national forest mountain turkeys?

Started by Ocoee Ridge Runner, December 11, 2011, 10:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocoee Ridge Runner

Last year was my first season turkey hunting and I am hunting the Cherokee national forest. I have located numerous turkey on a couple different FS roads but I am trying to figure out the best way to hunt them. Last year I would set up along one of the roads and at daybreak usually around 5-6 different gobblers would sound off on the ridges above me. I had several birds come within 70 yards but I always seemed to set up in the wrong place.
I am hunting forest service roads that run over the mountain with steep ridges on both sides. What would be a good way to hunt this type of terrain? Should I setup and watch the open road or should I setup on top of one of the ridges?

guesswho

I don't have a lot of experience hunting mountain birds but I'd probably start at the top of a ridge and then move from there.  Plus I wouldn't get in any big hurry as I worked my way down to a bird.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

renegade19

If I can, I prefer to set up at least as high as the roost.  Above is good if you can pull it off.  There's a common misconception that turkeys will not go down hill.  They will, but it does seem easier for me to get them to move up or at least horizontally.  Good luck on your hunt!

Kylongspur88

Take the high ground. They like to pitch into the hillside, and depending on how steep it is it may be at the same level as the roost branch. I have found here birds tend to prefer the eastern sides of slopes, not always but that's a starting point. They also like to get up close but still inside the head of the hollers. Thing is that when they are roosted on the side of a hill like that and the the coast is all clear it's a short pitch to the ground, but if they see something they dont like they can be in another zip code with a few wing flaps. Any road like an access road or service road is a good spot to set up. They will  use the path of least resistance. I kill turkeys on gas well roads a lot. the thing about mountain birds is that you will burn up a lot of boot leather. If I'm running and gunning it is not un-common for me to walk 3 or 4 miles in the hills. I think a good comfortable pair of boots is just as important as the gun you carry. Your season will not last long if your feet are swollen and bloody. Been there, no fun. And yes they will go down hill, but it seems like it's easier to walk and feed up hill, not as much of a stretch on slopes. When I have seen birds feeding down hill they look off balance and don't seem to move as easily.

cahaba

I would not set up on top of a ridge. Them birds are looking and seeing no hen. Try setting up just over the ridge so the gobbler will have to come over. Be ready cause it will be quick.

maustypsu

Quote from: Ocoee Ridge Runner on December 11, 2011, 10:00:14 AM
usually around 5-6 different gobblers would sound off on the ridges above me... 

...but I always seemed to set up in the wrong place.

You answered your own problem.  Get above them this year and you'll kill one.  Tough for a new hunter when you have 5 or 6 gobbling.  If the one you are working shuts up shortly after fly down - STAY PUT!!!  That won't always be the right answer but it will be enough of the time that you will get a bird this year.

Dang, I'm excited for you.  You have a gobbler 90% of the way to your truck and it's only December.

paboxcall

Quote from:  link=topic=14649.msg162203#msg162203 date=1323950787
Keep it simple --1) locate him, 2) set up on him, 3) call him in.  If you set up right, you'll start killing them.

:agreed:

That is some of the best advice you could ever get.

Jim Spencer once wrote "sit down wrong and you're beat."  I use it as a signature line sometimes and more often than not its what makes or breaks the hunt.  Check out my current sign line, Col. Kelly's thoughts on tha same matter...

Good post .

John
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Ocoee Ridge Runner

Thanks for the help. I guess my biggest question is, when I hike to the area I am hunting I come to an area that most of the turkeys seem to be. It is several harwood ridges starting off high above the FS road and gradually flattening of into a decent flat and then all converging into a creek bottom. The turkeys are always gobbling out of sight within the interior of the harwoods. The FS road sweeps around this area and kind of forms a border around the whole area. Would it be best for me to enter the hardwoods before daylight not knowing exactly where the turkeys are and temporarily setup or setup along the FS road and try to call the turkeys out from the hardwoods and onto the road for a shot.

paboxcall

Park yourself nice and quiet like somewhere where you can pinpoint those birds flying up the night before.  That information will dictate your plan to get in before light, and your plan to set up at day break.  That should put you at least one step further than you have been; as I read it sounds like you are arriving at the edge of what you call the hardwood flat around daylight without enough time to get into those hardwoods and set up.

Good luck.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

El Pavo Grande

I grew up hunting mountain turkeys.  You can use the terrain to your advantage.  Like others said, I would try and roost the turkeys the evening before if possible.  Then you are ahead of the game, but roosting is not always an option if you can't get out. 

Most of the time I would say get away from the roads and on top of the ridge.  I like to get around the turkeys where they are between me and the roads if possible.  Whatever you do, tread lightly and usually a conservative approach is best, especially if you are unsure of their exact location.  Once you learn the terrain you can be more aggressive when possible.  But use the terrain to cut the distance once gobblers are on the ground.  Those steep ridges or legs can be very useful in concealing your movement and enable you to close the distance.  In the mountains I like to set up where a gobbler has to come into range looking for the hen. 

WildSpur

I too am a terrain hunter.  A lot of times I run into birds above me or in less than ideal locations.   One of my favorite hunts is when a bird is hung up above me.  Once I am sure he is anchored I then get up and make the mad dash to get around (cover will dictate) 200 yards behind him/away from him and then on the same elevation.  Do it right and your hunt will be over in minutes.  If you are not too familiar with your grounds I highly recommend a GPS with topo and aeirial photo capabilites (I use a DeLorme PN-30) so you can navigate as you go.

Also, I see that you get them into 70 yards or so.  Thats is a common problem when hunting such areas.  Typically timber is mature and visibilty is great for the birds but poor for a shotgun carrying hunter.  Decoys may help but your best bet is bringing a buddy and having ~30 yard gap between caller and shooter.  JMHO/JME.

Cluck more, yelp less

CallMaker

I hunt mountainous terrain all the time.  Scout , scout  scout before the season opens. That way you can see the pattern of the birds.  I hunt along high roads and trails.   If you can find a flat just off of a trail that usually a good spot to setup.   Most of the birds in the areas I hunt are found roosting 1/2 to 3/4 of the way from the top of the hill. I have seen them pitch out in all directions.  If there is a field somewhere below the ridge, you can bet they will eventually move that direction later in the day.
Steven

El Pavo Grande

CallMaker,
You make a great point about scouting.  It can make a major difference.  Fall and winter is a perfect time to learn the lay of the land, which in the mountains can be an advantage in the spring.  I like to walk and scout new areas this time of year while the trees are void of leaves.  Often that can be as important as learning the turkeys habits prior to season. 

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I plan on getting to know the area intimately over the next couple of months. Its several miles to get to the area, but last season I never saw another hunter.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Ocoee Ridge Runner on December 28, 2011, 11:04:52 PM
I plan on getting to know the area intimately over the next couple of months. Its several miles to get to the area, but last season I never saw another hunter.

Consider the lack of hunters as a blessing.  An area with turkeys, but little to no pressure from other hunters is like a gold mine.  With that in mind, I wouldn't even tell your own Grandma the coordinates to your hunting spot.  Believe me those public land spots are few and far between and telling the wrong person could lead to a crowd.  It would have to be someone in your inner circle and I might even make them pinky swear or something before any information was disclosed.